What paint for diff?

I'm restoring a '65 Scout. What sort of paint do people recommend for the diff and undercarriage generally? I've had Herculiner mentioned, but the results I've seen with it on regular truck bed applications are less than stellar.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Well, for 1] herculiner is a coating, not a paint.

Are you thinking of painting and then undercoating?

Or just undercoating?

Not sure where U are in restoration, but seems some metal priming?

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Right (and right on the priming), however all those steps are interlinked. I'm not media-blasting the parts until I know what paint I want to use, which will also drive the choice of primer.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

POR-15 is good for rust protection, but it really requires a blasted finish. If you want a more "resto" look, you can topcoat POR-15 with "chassis black" before it fully dries.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You don't need to use the same primer on the body as on the underside. I do like the Locktite stuff personally, then followed by a sticky bituminized coating. The better coatings have some reducing agent added to slow rust down, but it's more important that the coating be covering everything and in all the nooks and crannies than that it be anything fancy.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey