what's the difference between a 40-valve engine and a DOHC.

I just started taking an interest in engines and the BMW cars a day ago, so forgive me if I sound "CAR" illiterate. I want to know the difference between BMW M6 model's 5.0 liter, 40 valve, 500hp, V10 and the BMW Z-4 3.0i model's 3.0 liter, DOHC, inline 6 cylinder engine. How many valves does the DOHC engine have. Is it better to have an inline engine than a V-engine? Whats the the 3.0liter or 5.0 liter mean? If someone could break down each fact about the car and the difference between those facts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You Ron

Reply to
ronz

DOHC tells you that you have two separate camshafts and they are located over the cylinder so that the valves can be activated directly. In its common form , two valves per cylinder were often seen, but you can have more. Dont know what BMW does on this 3.0 engine. The 40 valve engine has four valves per cylinder. Large or multiple valves makes it possible to extract more power out of an engine.

3 liter versus 5 liter...this tells the size of the engine in terms of piston displacement. The more displacement, the higher the capacity for producing power. The engine is a device for producing power from burning fuel, and the more you can burn in a given unit time, the more horsepower is possible.

A Vee engine usually allows more displacement in a shorter and lower block format. There are a number of differences in the way straight engines and Vees run and develop power, but these differences can be largely lost on a casual motorist. Formula 1 engines were V10's in the past, and are now mostly V8's. In racing of this sort, there are clear differences, but the 'drive my Bimmer to sunday school' set would probably never know the difference between a 6 and a 10, except for the power that the larger engine develops.

Reply to
<HLS

3 liters ~ 183 cubic inches 5 liters ~ 305 cubic inches

As far as camshafts there are many different ways to drive the valves. cam in block, sohc, dohc, using rocker arms with and without push rod, direct from cam to valve. There are 2, 3, 4, and 5 valve per cylinder engines being sold along with a great number of cylinders and displacement sizes. You need to go to your local library and see if they have anything to help you. Stan

Reply to
Stan Weiss

As I usually do when I see such questions, I'll plug for the AutoZine Technical School at

- a greatresource. Perhaps a little advanced for a total beginner, but still aworthwhile read.

Reply to
Jan Kalin

Step one: go to google and look up DOHC Step two: find a nine year old to help you with dividing 40 by 10.

You'll see some three valve per cylinder designs and four valve per cyulinder designs when you do step one and you'll be able to relate that to a 40 valve 10 cylinder engine once you have help with the math problem.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

There are too many diferences to list here. What sort of difference do you mean? Size? Power? Design? Cost? Performance? Torque? Horse power?

Which DOHC engine? Some DOHC engines have more valves than others. You mentioned some various BMW models, but I am not very familiar with all the BMWs . I assume they make more than one DOHC engine, but I could be mistaken.

Depends on what you want it to do. Inline engines usually have better torque. An engine with a V configuration generally has a lower profile and works better when designing a car for less wind resistance, among other things.

3.0 liter designates the volumetric dispalcemant of the engines cylinders.

5.0 liters is 2 liters larger than a 3.0 liter. Before there were many imported cars in the U.S.A. , the car manufacturers would designate their engine's size by Cubic Inch displacement. Now that there are many imports on the market, the engine size is often referred to in metric measurements of CCs (Cubic Centimeters) or Liters, rather than cubic inches. For instance, 5.0 liters is 5,000 cubic centimeters or aproximately 302 cubic inches.

Sorry, not enough room to write it all down here. Besides, no one knows all the facts.

Reply to
Kevin

e^( ln( 40 ) - ln( 10 ) )

Right?