What to buy?

Folks,

I know this is not a tech question, but I need help. We live in NH and have a 96 Ford Windstar GL. It has 42000 miles on it, yes only 42K and is real clean. The issue is that we need a 4x4, in the past 2 weeks we have gotten over 4 ft of snow. Back when snow used to be reported and measured in inches, we were ok with Windstar since it has plenty of room for the two kids and is a rather heavy van. Now a day the snow has totally stopped us in our tracks as in stuck at home for 2 or 3 days until they really cleaned up the roads.

I don't have money and even if I did, I would have other bills to pay. But we need a 4x4. Most people that are on the street have these and looking around I have not been able to find anything new for less than $20K. We want new since we keep our cars for 10+ yrs and hope not to have too many issues/problems.

I have looked at Toyota Matrix/Vibe, Subaru Forester, Ford Escape, Honda Element and CR-V. What is your opinion on a $20K 4x4?

Reply to
Fred

Toys for the most part. The Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 4WD Short (5.5Ft bed) with the 5.4L V8 Triton would be my vehicle of choice. Don't be suprised to be looking at $35K, and 14/18MPG rating.

Enjoy the time at home with your kids. They grow up too quick.

Fred wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Reply to
George

Buy a 2 year old used car from a private buyer or perhaps an off-lease car from a dealer that specializes in them. There's no need to pay 10K extra to get "new car smell".

Reply to
Jimmy