What would be the best/most reliable gas mileage car these days?

Hi, new to this group. I've googled my question and came up with 1.2 million answers, but nothing really matching the question I have.

I'm in the market for a new car and was looking at the high bred, gas-electric type. I'm wondering if the group has an overall favorite with dependability also in mind. It's for my wife and i'm not sure but I think she drives it across country while i'm sleep (lol), She racks up miles like mad (drives me nuts). She would like a hatchback if they make them in that type.

Thanks in advance,

zTim

Reply to
fredmertz_1

How many miles is "like mad?" Does she carry a tuba? Does she weigh 3 bills or 105#? How long will it be kept? How much is dity driving? etc.,etc.,etc. You may have Googled and seen 1.2 million answers, but you read none of them.

Reply to
Al Bundy

My son and his wife each own a different one of the Honda models. The little one, which I believe he calls the Insight (or maybe Incite?;>) is a two seater, looks like an armadillo, and - he claims - can get up to about 80 miles per gallon when driven optimally. (And that does not mean slowly, apparently.)

The other one, a larger car, can seat about 4 1/2 people, and is very nice. It can get 48-54 miles per gallon with judicious driving.

Others are coming, including SUV type vehicles I understand.

I probably wouldn't buy one of them. There will be a tradeoff, eventually, in battery replacements, etc, and they are not really cheap as they stand.

You can get a good conventional car that will get you close to

35 mpg, and I believe that is what I will opt for, next time.
Reply to
<HLS

Be sure to consider the premium you will pay for a hybrid car. A comparable gas engine equipped car will cost several thousand dollars less so the financial benefit is probably not be as big as the milage figures might make it appear.

Reply to
John S.

Thanks H...@nospam, i'll check into the Honda's!

zTim