Wheel Alignment

I just got a wheel alignment done. The car didn't seem to pull, but because there was more wear on the outside of the front right tire than the inside, I assumed it needed to be done.

I have a couple questions about the printout from the before/after and the guy at kal-tire wasn't exactly helpful. The results show that there was hardly anything done. Before the alignment, everything was within spec except LF toe (which was fixed) but afterwards, they seem to have put the camber further out of spec. Since it was wear on the outer edge of the RF tire that prompted the alignment in the first place, I would have thought that increasing the camber on that tire would make it worse, which the results also show was done.

Having said that, the car seems to run ok now, though I haven't had a chance to take it on the highway yet.

My questions are:

- Do the tiny changes that were done actually make much of a difference? In most cases, it was a small fraction of a degree that was changed. Do small differences like that actually justify an alignment being needed in the first place?

- Do the results shown below look ok? Is it ok that there's negative camber on one side and positive on the other? Does the fact that they took the camber farther off center and increased cross-camber dramatically cause any concern? Here's the results:

Camber LF - Actual: -0.10 - Before: +0.01 RF - Actual: +0.12 - Before: +0.07 Spec Range: -1.00 to +1.00

Caster LF - Actual: +1.64 - Before: +1.64 RF - Actual: +1.71 - Before: +1.71 Spec Range: +1.65 to +3.65

Toe LF - Actual: +0.02 - Before: +0.14 RF - Actual: +0.01 - Before: +0.03 Spec Range: -0.08 to +0.08

Cross Camber Actual: -0.22 - Before: -0.06 Spec Range: -0.75 to +0.75

Cross Caster Actual: -0.08 - Before: -0.08 Spec Range: -0.75 to +0.75

Total Toe Actual: +0.03 - Before: +0.17 Spec Range: -0.16 to +0.16

Reply to
Joe Smith

It all looks well within specs. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You can change most of those things, except the toe, a fairly large amount before you really notice much change. I've had cars that were way out of spec and they drove fine and got them aligned and you couldn't tell the difference. I've also had one car that worn the hell out of the edges of the front tires no matter how well aligned it was (Chevy Corsica).

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thanks. It just seemed weird to me that they even changed the camber when it seemed to take it further out of whack than when it started. Guess that's why I'm not a mechanic... =)

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Joe Smith