Wheel bearing core charge?

I'm relaying this story. This concerns a wheel bearing on a 2003 Grand Am. It seems that both wheels have needed wheel bearings since the car was new. These bearings only last about 30,000 miles before they start to sound like an airplane again. Knowing the history on this car I suggested to keep the old bearing after the last one was changed at a major automobile repair franchise. The car owner was told that the bearing was core stock and they couldn't hand it over without a charge.

Have things got so bad that they are rebuilding bearings. I can't imagine such a thing. What am I missing?

Reply to
tnom

They are probably replacing a complete assembly that includes the actual bearings. I suppose the assembly might be sent back to have the bearing replaced. This increases the parts cost, but lowers the labor cost and avoids all the things unskilled labor can do wrong. See

or
for an example of the hub assembly. I might be a little concerned that they are actually sending these back - none of the on-line parts places mention a core charge. It looks like an easy part to replace. Maybe your friend should find a different shop. I definitely don't trust some of the "major automobile repair franchise." I'd much rather go to a dealer or a local independent garage that has been recommneded by someone I know. Those national chains put a lot of pressure on the employess to maximize profit by overcharging and under performing (use of cheap parts, unskilled labor, rush the jobs, do unecessary work, etc., etc.).

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It may be that company policy is that parts they change have a core charge. I would also suggest that there is something wrong with that car 30,000 is VERY low mileage for those bearings. The Grand-Am doesn't normally have front hub problems for 80-70K at least. I have seen more than one with 100K on the front end with no problem.

The S-Blazers go through front hubs at 40-50K or so because they are not heavy enough parts for the vehicle.

Reply to
Steve W.

They aren't likely to be charging a fee for the old bearing. What you get is the hub with bearing pressed into it. The bearing alone (if it was available) wouldn't have a core charge.

-jim

Reply to
jim

I work in auto parts, and I've never seen a core charge for bearings/ hub assemblies. He has a right to get his old parts back. I guess anything is possible though.

Reply to
m6onz5a