Wheel bearings

I have to repack or change the wheel bearings on my trailor. I have taken the outer bearing off but the inner bearing seems stuck in place. Any suggestions? Thanks John

Reply to
John

More info please.

Is the stuck bearing holding the wheel onto the trailer or is the bearing just stuck in the hub.

The inside bearings on my Jeep have a dust seal and a grease seal on them. These two seals can hold the wheel onto the spindle quite well and can be a pain to get off. Sometimes they pop off when the wheel comes off because the bearing is sticking on the spindle, other times I have to pry them out to get at the bearing once the wheel is off.

When I repack I buy new seals because the odds are better I will damage them getting them off than not damage them.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

On a tapered roller bearing type hub I usually just whack the inner race of the inner bearing out through the back of the hub with a brass drift. More often than not I will be able to repack the inner bearing and reuse the grease seal as it won't be damaged by this. However if you can get new inner grease seals I would recommend it, I just don't always plan that far ahead.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
John

That's the way to go. The spindle is the part still on the trailer when the wheel pulls off, the core the bearing spins on.

It's odd the bearing is stuck unless the cage around the individual rollers has broken. Usually the bearing part comes out and you tap just the cone or race out.

If the bearing is a flat one, it might be a sealed unit that 'isn't' made to come out. They can't be serviced properly, you replace them or the whole hub usually. These have plastic sides so you don't see any bearings, just the unit.

Good luck,

Mike

John wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Actually it looks as though i need a bearing splitting tool.

Reply to
John

====== ====== Hold on there little feller.......be smarter than the metal you're working on.

If'n yer not in too big a hurry that is.....if you are......then start split'n.

If yer not......let me ask you.......did you take off a nut, then the outter bearing was able to jest slide out ?

If so.......then the inner should jest slide off too.

If it's stuck on the spindle, (the protrusion off the trailer) then it's most likely jest stuck because you cocked it when you yanked the the hub assembly off the trailer.

Try tapping it back ONTO the spindle very lightly..going around the bearing as you go. Tap on the RACE that's riding on the surface of the spindle. Usually, a flat head screw driver works great with a few taps around the race, the bearing should start to move a bit. If it does....then you've "squared" that inner race of the bearing back up on the spindle and the bearing should then come off with a bit of help.

or.......do it yerway first. After all.......it is......YOUR money, and.......i have been know to be wrong.

once

:)

~:~ marshmonster ~sips his coffee.....takes a toke~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Consider that bearing a goner and make it easy on yourself to get it off, but dont** bugger up the spindle.

Hack the bearings out of it and see if you can heat the race and loosen it.

Alternately, cut into it with a hacksaw, grinder, or Dremel tool** and split it with a chisle.

You might be able to rent or borrow a puller with long enough jaws to get onto this sucker and ease it off. Puller jaws on a slide hammer can also do it.

Reply to
HLS

Reply to
John

personally........if it comes to that..........

I'd jest take the "blue wrench" to it and git'r done with.

but then........i'm jest that way. Lazy!

:)

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke........mmmmmm.......smooooooth~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster