wheel weight SOS

I'm hoping to get some input from anyone in the know rather quickly since I may need to return some wheels within a deadline.

I need to know if aftermarket wheels which weigh some 4 to 5 lb heavier than stock, each wheel that is, would affect things like gas mileage since I understand heavier wheels affect acceleration. Am I over reacting.

bobby

Reply to
Bob

No, the effect on gas mileage would be unmeasurable. And you'd be very hard pressed to measure the difference in acceleration, although it is real, it would not be significant.

Unless you have some other problem with the wheels other than the effect they might have on gas mileage, my advice is to leave well enough alone. Very lightweight wheels are not really a positive thing on the street, when coupled with extremely low aspect ratio tires and the numerous potholes on the roads.

Reply to
Mark Olson

||I'm hoping to get some input from anyone in the know rather quickly ||since I may need to return some wheels within a deadline. || ||I need to know if aftermarket wheels which weigh some 4 to 5 lb heavier ||than stock, each wheel that is, would affect things like gas mileage ||since I understand heavier wheels affect acceleration. Am I over reacting. || ||bobby ||

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

The effect on gas mileage is there, but probably unmeasureable. The wheels will be harder to accelerate, but will give back energy when coasting. Light wheels are important in racing when the overall effect is more pronounced, and they have a relatively larger effect on handling.

Brian

Reply to
Brian