Where can I find quality hose clamps?

I am replacing the rubber fuel filler hose that goes from my fuel pipe over to my gas tank. It has an I.D. of 2" and is about 9" long. It had two old clamps, each one consisting of two wires that were tightened with a screw. The nut has deteriorated on one of them. So I plan to put 2 new clamps on with the new hose. The only clamps I've seen at the usual places (AutoZone, Pepboys, O'Reilly) have been the standard band clamp. Somewhere I read these flat bands could cut into a rubber hose over time. Should I try to find a higher quality clamp somewhere, and what stores would normally carry a higher grade clamp? (I know the 3 above don't, at least around here.) Thanks.

GS

Reply to
GarySport

Get them from the dealer if you demand OEM. You don't have the constant expansion and contraction on a gas tank as you would on a radiator. Screw clamps will work fine. Don't over tighten them

Reply to
TOLYN9

There's nothing wrong with the standard band clamp. They use them on aeroplanes. Take note that there are two kinds though, the cheap ones and the more expensive stainless steel kind. The stainless steel ones won't be a rusted impossibility if you ever have to remove them at some future date.

Reply to
John Ings

Gary - What are you planning to use for replacement hose? Reason I ask is because if OEM is not available, it may be tough to locate gas-resistant hose in that big an I.D. I've done lots of these, and always use Marine-Tex hose. If you have trouble locating something appropriate in your area, you can try Potomac Rubber 1-800-WORKS4U.

--Paul

Reply to
Paul A.

"Gas filler hose" is available in standard gas filler sizes through NAPA Auto Parts stores in three-foot sticks.

It is NOT cheap!! Approximately $6/foot.

But it IS the correct hose to use.

You may or may not be able to buy it by the foot from your local NAPA store.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Paul A. wrote in article ...

Reply to
Bob Paulin

I think band clamps should be fine but for a gas filler all stainless might be a nice touch because I'm guessing that they are under the car and exposed to all sorts of nastiness. I am lucky enough to have a hardware store nearby that specializes in fasteners for marine applications, they have all stainless hose clamps for not much more than the regular ones that you get at the parts store.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Dick C wrote in article ...

Being able to withstand corrosive elements such as salt and water is absolutely no indication that a hose can survive exposure to petroleum products.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Thanks, but I called around and both O'Reilly and NAPA carry it and cut it to sell by the foot. You have to be careful though. The type that one store first tried to sell me was not rated for gasoline.

GS

Reply to
GarySport

You wish!! I did get mine at NAPA where it was $13.99 per foot here in the Dallas area. Ouch!

GS

Reply to
GarySport

On these 2" fuel filler hoses, do people usually apply some kind of sealant like Hymolar at the connections? If so, will it still be easy to get the hose off in the future if necessary? Thanks.

GS

Reply to
GarySport

They can, but how much?

The OEM clamps probably have a "rolled" edge on them to prevent the clamp from cutting into the hose. As the hose expands & contracts over time, it could cause the rubber around a standard flat clamp to be cut in to by the clamp.

If you plan on having it for only another year or two, then it probably doesn't matter. But if you want to hang on to it for a while, I'd go with the rolled edge clamps.

Reply to
Bob M.

Stay away from those spring type hose clamps. I almost lost an engine because the spring type clamp cracked at highway because of the constant expansion. I replaced all spring type clamps on high pressure hoses with the screw type purchased at a hardware store (ACE). Get the one that has a hex head instead of the standard slot or philips screw.

Reply to
Rajsircar

|Bob Paulin wrote in rec.autos.tech | |> |> |> Dick C wrote in article |> ... |>> |>> Try an idustrial supply house for high quality clamps, or a marine |>> supply house. And the screw clamps are the better quality type. |Stainless |>> steel is the best, of course. Won't corrode. A marine supply will |> probably |>> have high quality hose also. What they sell usually haves to survive |>> years of salt water use, and that is highly corrosive.

Parker-Hannifin/Ideal makes nearly all the commonly available worm-gear clamps. They offer at least 6 grades, at graduated prices from cheap to not-so-cheap. The difference is in how much is made of stainless - band (always), gear housing (midgrade and better), and screw (only SS in the best grade). The very low-end clamps have a slightly narrower band and/or no hex head on the screw.. So either find an independent store that services commercial accounts primarily, or a good marine supply. A racer supply is also good, perhaps even best of all. Then look the clamp over closely, some are marked as to whether they are all SS or not. Most stores, and most distributors, buy the low-price clamp unless they have HD or fleet customers that know the difference and demand the best. Last I looked, Gates brand clamps where better quality at the low end than Ideal. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B