Where can I get an old style non CARB 5-gal gasoline can?

Some cut. Have you tried a search for "safety can"? One of those might suit your needs. Spendy, though.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I remember when toilets would flush and shower heads would flow before some government agency got hold of them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

This might be a good idea, if I understand you correctly.

I buy a oil-changing can with a pour spout, and then I fill the abominable CARB gas can with gas.

When I need to pour out the five gallons, I remove the abominable CARB spout, and just pour the 5 gallons of gasoline into the clean oil-changing tub.

Then, I can pour from the oil-changing tub into the on-road vehicle or wherever I need it at that moment without having to deal with the abominable CARB spout.

Is that what you were suggesting? ('cuz it's a great idea!).

Reply to
Brent

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

There was a spell when they did not work well at all, but engineering has overcome those problems. There are plenty of 1.6 gallon toilets that work perfectly. I like my low flow shower too, but many do suck.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We have one of the flush and pray models. My friend has one of the pressure tank models that will geld you if you flush it while you sit on it. When I travel, I carry my own shower head and tools to change them out at hotel/motels.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Don't forget to Flush. Back to fuel cans.Why not paint, Gas, for Gasoline cans, Kerosene, for Kerosene cans, Diesel, for Diesel fuel cans. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

mail-complaints-to=" snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net"

My husband Bill does this whenever he's forced to buy the EPA-mandated gas can

  1. He cuts off the child-proof small tab that makes removing the cap to refill so difficult. Unscrewing the cap still takes FORCE so no "child" is going to be able to remove it anyway (did the EPA ever raise kids? That tab is overkill!). A gas cap is screwed on so tightly I have trouble removing it. I can't imagine a "child" removing it. Any child that has that kind of strength also can defeat the child-proof tab!
  2. He pops out the plastic-spring-loaded switch that prevents you from pressing down twice. Now you can pour gas, let up on the handle to let it settle, press down again to pour. With that lock-tab in place, you have to spill the gas before you can see where the gas level is in the tank you're filling or you have to put the can down, switch hands, re-press that switch, and pour anew.

He hasn't drilled a vent hole yet, which would be the next step. I would worry about multiple use with just a wood screw as some have mentioned.

What kind of vent can be drilled that will keep gas in but will be able to be used many times without stripping?

And, what was wrong with the old vent & easy pour mechanism anyway?

Reply to
D. Ohl

mail-complaints-to=" snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net"

My gas can has a vent in the nozzle. When the nozzle get submerged it stops, sorta. I've found that if I stick the nozzle an inch-and-a-half down in the tank it cuts off pretty close to full. Other than the silly plastic child-proof tab it has no other safety features on it. The thing I *don't* like is that there is no good way to seal the can, other than putting the plastic disc between the nozzle and the can, which means disassembling the thing twice for each use.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: (snip)

I HATE my 5-gallon can. Even if I only put 4 gallons in it (now my standard practice), the angles of the nozzle make it impossible to get it down in the fill hole on my mower without a stream going across the top of the mower first. These idiots need to look at some old cans, or even a long-neck watering can, for some ideas on how to make a can you can actually pour from. Even a little turn-down at the end of the nozzle would help. Wonder if anybody makes a angled filler neck/funnel that screws on to a lawnmower gas tank, and has a bigger larger lid, so you could just leave it in place all the time? My can would work fine for refueling a pickup truck.

Reply to
aemeijers

Ours still do, we have the good old-fashioned kind. For that matter I have a basement full of incandescent light bulbs socked away and will continue to use them after the "ban" on their sale goes into effect.

I refuse to let the federal scumbags dictate to me what kind of toilet I use, what kind of shower I wash with, or what kind of light bulbs are installed in my house. Screw 'em.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Well, I was suggesting using the 5-gal oil can just like one would use an old-style metal or plastic can w/o the intermediate step. W/ a wide spout, it'll probably pour well enough; if not, the funnel that (I think it was OP) would certainly be enough.

Being on farm w/ fairly sizable acreage around the house, besides the actual farm equipment (and since some of the tractors/combines/etc have as large as 250 gal tanks on them) I don't have much of anything that is very small to deal with. :)

I do have a pair of 2-1/2 gal plastic containers (probably anyway 30 yr old :) ) w/ a 8" or so spout. One holds the 2-cycle mix for trimmer and chainsaw, etc., and the other is convenient for the small lawn tractor/trim mower/hand tiller/etc. Other than that, everything is filled from a bulk tank for either gas or diesel. I have 100 gal diesel and 40 gal gasoline transfer tanks w/ transfer pumps permanently in the

4x4 for field refueling and I refill a couple of the 5-gal old metal cans and leave them in the shop to refill the smaller ones from from it. Equit comes and fills the bulk tanks at beck and call and if the 4x4 is sitting there when they come, they fill it, too. Unfortunately, they have always sent the invoices at the end of the month. :(

So, sorta', but not quite I think... :)

Reply to
dpb

I had one like that; left it in Vermont. The nozzle on the one I bought to replace it is pretty flexible. I don't spill anything, even with a full can and it shuts off before overflowing the tank, as long as I stick it far enough in. Other than no good cap on the nozzle, it's fine. It seems none have a good cap anymore.

Reply to
krw

AFAIK, they're required by the EPA everywhere in the USA. Along with a fine of $150 per each non-compliant can sold by any retailer. That's why you can't find the non-compliant ones anymore. FWIW, EPA does not regulate the nozzle design, just the specs it must meet. Therefore, the crappy ones we're seeing could be made much better if the manufacturers get enough complaints. Google EPA and portable fuel containers.

Red

Reply to
Red

Seems like a great business opportunity - sell just the old style nozzle. They can't tap you for selling an unapproved container. Don't even reference gas - call it water or just liquid.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Businesses who want to wrestle in the mud with Carol Browner sign up now. Death match too; she has the IRS on her side. Good luck.

Reply to
AMuzi

dpb wrote: ...

Which seems large except consumption at load is 12-15 gal/hr so during peak harvest it may mean refilling that puppy almost completely daily... :(

Of course to compensate, cover a lot of acres in a day as compared to years ago w/ a little 14- or 18-ft header at half the ground speed as well.

Reply to
dpb

AFAIK, they're required by the EPA everywhere in the USA. Along with a fine of $150 per each non-compliant can sold by any retailer. That's why you can't find the non-compliant ones anymore

Picked up two 5 GAL (there were more) at a Mobile Home park "sidewalk sale" last Spring. $ 1.50 and $ 2.00 ea. Got some DIAZINON for FREE too ! Still factory sealed

Reply to
Rudy

What? The light bulbs or government minions? *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

True... Best to put a big disclaimer on the ad - "Not To Be Used for Gas Containers". That should surely solve the problem.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I would like to point out that the best-flushing toilets I ever saw are

1.6 gallon ones. There are some good ones out there.

As opposed to earlier 1.6 gallon/flush toilets so lousy as to possibly support an argument that these 1.6 gallon toilets were made in an attempt to sabotage government regulations on toilets.

Meanwhile, I am aware of lightbulb applications where CFLs are not suitable. Thankfully, the upcoming incandescent ban has a set of loopholes wide enough to reroute the Mississippi River through. Sadly, this even permits selling incandescents that can be used where "standard" ones are, but have even lower energy efficiecy than "standard" ones have. (Such as "traffic signal" and "rough service" / vibration service".)

Don Klipstein