Where is the fuel pump wiring on the Pontac 6000?

I posted here a few days ago about my fuel pump blowing fuses. In order to determine if it's a bad pump or a short in the wiring, I'd like to disconnect the pump wiring as close the fuel pump as possible, then put a load on that wiring and see if it works, or run alternate wiring to the fuel pump and see if it works.

But I have no idea where the wiring is in the back of the car. I looked underneath the car all around the fuel tank but couldn't find any wires. Are then inside the car somewhere, like under the back seat?

Thanks for any help.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

On every GM I have worked on, the fuel pump wiring was tucked in nice and close. The only way to access it under the car is to drop or at least partially lower the tank. I do know that 91 Camaro/firebirds have a connector located foward of the tank, under the car,directly below the rear seat cushion. It is a 3 wire plug. The male half disconnects and goes to the pump, the female side is attached to the floor pan.

If you have access to an amp meter, why not put the meter in series with the fuse? It would be a lot easier, and give the same results. An inductive amp meter would also give similar results.

Reply to
CURLY

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to have to lower the tank. I think you are saying thats what I must do to get at the connector? But how does the wiring run from that connector up to the front of the car? I'd be happy if I could just find those wires and start inspecting them for breaks in the insulation. Are then run on the underside of the car, or do they enter the inside of the car above the tank?

I've done this already, and I don't see how it tells if the fuel pump is bad or if it is the wiring. The ammeter shows current running around 5 amps, then it will jump to 20+ and the car will die. But this could be because of a short in the wiring or because the fuel pump is locking up and drawing high current.

If I could disconnect the harness near the pump then I can test the wiring and the pump separately to see which is causing the high current draw.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Well, It sure sounds like a bad pump, but if you want to try your test, look under the car near the tank for the connector I mentioned. It is possible the connector is inside the car under the rear seat cushion, but I doubt it. In the case of the Camaro/Firebirds I mentioned, the wiring connector was under the car, but the wires themselves passed into the car under the rear seat, then ran along the drivers side door sill where they joined the main harness. There was a large junction at the firewall where the engine harness met the body harness. I'm sure your car has a similar setup.

Good luck

Reply to
CURLY