Where is the TCC located on a Buick Skylark?

The Torque Converter Clutch is sticking on my 88 Buick Skylark causing the auto to stall when going off the offramp. I know one solution is to cut snip the TCC wire. Does anyone know where that is located or the best place to cut it is?

Thanks.

Reply to
martin_marvinski

Shep

If it's a TH125, it's under the side cover on the transmission. Not too hard of a job to replace.

If you need to drive the car for a while, you can disconnect the TCC switch at the brake pedal and it'll never engage, and thus never stick. Your highway rpm will go up about 200 and you'll lose about 1-2mpg, but at least you won't frag the tranny if you need to drive it until next weekend...

Ray

Reply to
ray

Stand over the left fender with hood open. The TCC plug is on the trans, top left side (towards front of car).

Reply to
« Paul »

If I remember correctly you can just unplug the connector on the side of the trans. Should be the only electrical connection on the trans. I had a '92 that we gave to a friend of the family and I unhooked the connector about five years / 60k ago. So far no signs of problems from unplugging the connector.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Is it the connector with two wires, one yellow and one purple? That is the only one I could see going to the transaxle. I unplugged it and did a test drive around my property and noticed that my speedometer stopped working so I couldn't test the car on the highway to see if the TCC problem went away.

Could it be that maybe one wire of the connector is for the speedometer and the other is for the TCC solenoid?

Reply to
martin_marvinski

Yes, could very well be. Try cutting 1--leave enough to 'skin & splice back'--& plug connector back up. I'd try cutting the purple one first. s

Reply to
sdlomi2