Where to add engine oil

I know that this is going to sound totally silly but, I just purchased a 67 chevelle with a small block 350. There is no oil filler cap on either valve cover but, an oil breather cap on one of the valve covers. I am sure this is where I add the oil (remove the breather cap) but I wanted to be 100 percent correct. Is this where you add the oil? Thank you and I hope the not too many are blinded by the glow of my embarrased face!!!

Reply to
Steeleagle

Yes

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Yes.

Let me say, also, that as much as I rag on Chilton's manuals as being less than useful on modern cars, the one for your car is pretty good and worth picking up.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

This persisted well into the Positive Crankcase Ventilation era, actually. My recollection (warning: small-sample statistics dead ahead) is that the dedicated oil-filler tube came along sometime in the

70s, probably in response to ever increasing government demands to cork up or intramurally recirculate a car's various vapors.

I'm not sure when Chevvies grew PCV valves, but I think that the devices started coming along in the early 60s, supplanting the earlier "road draft tube" as a means of crankcase ventilation. (AFAIK the first use was on the original Willys Jeep, as part of an attempt to make it fare better in water crossings.)

My '66 Bird, for example, has PCV (and as a California-spec car was supplied with first-generation versions of both Air Injection Reactor and Exhaust Gas Recirculation) but also a breather cap on the valve cover, connected to the intakes with a hose, that doubles as the oil filler neck.

Although I am having trouble finding truth carved in stone on the subject of when PCV came to be required where, I am taking a slightly educated guess that first generation PCV (vented breather cap) came out in 1963 as a 49-state requirement, having been pioneered in California a few years earlier. Then in 1986, closed-loop PCV became the requirement. I get this by interpolating among

(with the caveat that some of their statements are prettyPontiac-specific)
well as
'm imagining a three-foot hose with a 90 degree bend molded into it,and a PCV valve in the valve cover opposite the breather cap. The implication for the original poster is that there should probably be a PCV valve in there somewhere.

Finally, there's the great question of all newly acquired vintage cars: whaddaya got in there anyway?

I *think* (again, I'm not even the sorcerer's apprentice, much less a guru, on that era of Chevy) that in 1967 only the Camaro got the brand-new 350. So I wonder if you've got a retrofitted engine (either used or a "universal" crate motor). The 350 was an instant hit and proved to be one of the truly enduring instantiations of the small-block, so the earth was soon carpeted with them and they found their way into all sorts of cars, including some that didn't originally have a V8 at all, non-GM vehicles, rods and customs, you name it.

In that case, the proper assortment and disposition of smog controls and other accessories might not be exactly that of a 1967 Chevelle or El Camino with a 327. Casting numbers on the block and heads might help you research what year it's from, just as you'd use the VIN to find out what the car had in it originally.

Just think of it as one of the interesting and fun parts of the hobby...

Cheers,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera