where to buy wiper refills?

I need a 12" wiper refill for my old Studebaker... Anco doesn't seem to make one; Trico's web site lists a "cut to fit" refill that would probably work if I could find a retailer that sold it. I figured there would be an online store somewhere that sold these buggers but can't seem to find one... any help?

I know that in the past I've shortened some plastic refills myself and staked the blades in with a punch, but it's hard to find a retailer anymore that sells refills at all, and I don't want to lose my original blades (ugly aftermarket wiper blades are one of my pet peeves on an older car)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Well the rear wiper on an S Blazer is 14" and I've seen 13s at Wal-Mart (Trico and Ancos). Refills were available there as well. Also have seen them on the shelf at Advance and Auto Zones.

Reply to
Steve W.

Anco (I think it's Anco) has a "classic" product line. Went thru this in the summer when I needed blades for my 'cuda, the regular listing yielded blades that hit the hood when they went to park, sharp NAPA guy found the right ones for me.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda69062 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.chi.sbcglobal.net:

You may be thinking of Trico.

This is their "Classic" line, which oddly doesn't come up in a search on Trico's Web site, but only in Google.

I just had a browse through my latest Hemmings Motor News and a couple of other old-car publications, to no avail. Doesn't look like this is a high- demand thing, weirdly enough.

As for modern refills (the rubber parts themselves), I know Honda and Toyota still sell top quality refills ($5 each). Whether they'd fit your blades is another story...

Reply to
Tegger

Up here in Canada, most gas stations sell universal refills you cut to size.

I have been using them for years on my CJ7 with it's 11" blades.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I need a 12" wiper refill for my old Studebaker... Anco doesn't seem to
Reply to
Mike Romain

Well, next time I'm in Canada, I'll be sure to pick some up...

guess I need to start calling some parts stores, because I just haven't seen 'em and don't feel like driving all over to find them.

nate

Mike Roma> Up here in Canada, most gas stations sell universal refills you cut to > size.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

wouldn't these work?

Reply to
MG

Absolutely they would, and they're a fine product (I've seen some of them) I just want to refill my old original blades because I'm cheap and this is going to be just a driver.

Incidentally, the Cades that own Stephen Allen's are the same family as the Dr. Cade of Gatorade fame that just passed away this past week.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Well, our parts stores 'all' sell them too. I was just making a point of just about anyone that sells anything automotive up here anyway sells universal refills. Check at your local service station, really. Every one I ever worked in had them.

I guess our weather is harder on blades than yours??....

Mike

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"service station?" What is this "service station" you speak of?

Most gas stations around here just have a little convenience store inside, very few still have service bays or sell anything beyond oil, antifreeze, and washer fluid (if that...)

Couldn't possibly be; I go through a pair every year at least, probably ought to replace them sooner. I'm currently running PIAA silicone on my daily driver and even they are starting to streak, but at least they haven't ripped and still flip over after 11 months.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yup, them's the place. I got my last refill in an ice storm at a full/self serve Shell gas station with a restaurant and convenience store attached out on the rural highways. They carry the universal ones that are gold plated, or they think they are, but in the middle of an ice storm, I wasn't arguing.

Yup, sounds about the same as here....

Good luck on finding them.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Try Bosch, ideally the two-rubber type "Super Mega Wipers" or something

- the deluxe model, it's actually pretty good.

Unlike most blades that are stiffened with a thin metal strip each side, these use a single thicker strip hidden in a tube inside the rubber. They cut down pretty easily with a knife and a big pair of cutters. You don't ned end clips.

Reply to
Andy Dingley