Where to get a free VIN check?

I remember there is something like a per month charge, and some website provide the check for free, or at a much cheaper price than buying directly.

Carfax has 1 car check for 19.99, too much. I like monthly pay.

Reply to
OttawaTrade

If you are buying the car from a dealer just ask them to run a copy. Otherwise, you are rightfully so going to have to pay for the service you receive from CarFax. If you are going to be buying more than one car just sign up for their monthly fee based service.

Reply to
John S.

That's the most pathetic thing I've read all year. Payments for a $20 expenditure!

Reply to
AZ Nomad

======== ======== lol

~:~ marsh

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Note: Carfax report may NOT include all information about your prospective vehicle. Only if it is _reported_ to certain agencies. It is better than nothing...I used it myself on my own Merc Sable. Well worth the $20 when your spending 1000 times that on the car ( well, a little less in my case ).

I can't believe someone has the money for a *new*/used car but can't come up with the $20 for the report. That's 1/2 tank of gas on my car.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

That's good advice. Apparently some hurricane damaged cars are not being picked up by Car Fax even though they were totalled.

Reply to
John S.

What will show up was that they were last in use just before the huricane and then poped up thousands of miles away out of the blue. If something looks suspicious you can then take that into consideration when inspecting the car.

A good inspection is critical and you'll know if the car was hurrican damaged.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

How does a carfax Vin check look like?

Will it say the location of the plate? I will avoid anything in the wet south.

How do you look for a totalled sign?

For example I am interested in this car:

The best tradein value is only $2,950 and the best private price is $4,725. This seller listed it for 6,500. How likely a private seller will go with the retail price rather than private sale price or trade in price?

Reply to
OttawaTrade

It shows everywhere the car has been registered and to who. It'll indicate if the car was on a loan, leased, or rented. It'll show if an insurance company totaled it.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Unfortunately that is not the case all the time. The information will appear only if that states report the data and not all do.

Reply to
John S.

I was talking about inspecting the car.

Reply to