Where would I sell some rims?

I found a set of 4 old rims in my basement, if I clean them off where would I bring them to sell for cash? An auto-parts store or something?

Reply to
Free Cycle

Ebay!

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

try to identify what car they came from, or if you can't do that, at least list the number of lugs, bolt circle diameter, wheel diameter, wheel width, offset, and hub bore size.

If you don't want to be bothered you can probably get a couple bucks anyway at a metal recycler (but, literally, just a couple bucks)

nate

Reply to
N8N

find a hubcap place. a lot of times they buy/sell rims too.

BTW, do you Freecycle??

Reply to
m6onz5a

You can run an ad in your local newspaper classifieds about your rims.

There is a Hubcap Heaven place near me.Maybe you can post a photo or two in this newsgroup.Perhaps somebody can identfy your rims. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Forget ebay, rims are too expensive to ship. Take some pictures and post on Craig's List, if there is one for your city or a city near you. Measurements will help.

Reply to
aemeijers

Speaking of shipping rates, I recently got pair of cross-drilled and slotted brake rotors and pads shipped to this little island in the Pacific and was charged $25 total for shipping. Thank you, USPS flat rate boxes!

Reply to
dsi1

Try selling them at a car show/ car parts swap meet in your area.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Craigslist.org maybe? Mine down through your state, then your city, then "for sale," then "auto parts". I've found a used car (after several close calls that were scooped by others before I could get away to look at the thing), a used fridge for the office, and an apartment on Craigslist, albeit in an area where it has been established for a long time and is well utilized.

Are we talking four OEM steel rims, nice mags, what? Any idea what kind of car they came from?

As others have mentioned, the measurements are important: diameter, sectional width, number of bolt holes, distance from center of one of them to center of wheel, and offset from the bottom of the dish to the inner edge. These determine what cars it will fit, and the first two determine what tires it will fit. Often the first two are stamped into the metal somewhere.

Worst case, you can recycle them for free or get a small amount of cash at a metal recycler or a car junkyard. However, if they are in good shape and these parameters are known, even welded steel base OEM rims might be interesting to somebody who doesn't want to use his nice mags for snow tires in the winter.

My impression is that basic OEM steel wheels for a commonplace car might fetch $5 apiece (as others have said, probably not worth the shipping -- thus the advantage of the inherently local Craigslist over auction services). If they are high-end in some way or are special ones that are a correct fit for some collectors item, that may be different (and you may want to try car shows or specialty mailing lists or Hemmings).

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera