Which Aftermarket Catalytic Converter To Buy for Lexus es300?

I know my 1978 Dodge van doesn't have a catalytic convertrt, there wasen't a catalytic converter on that van when I bought it in 1989.

My 1983 Dodge van I bought about a month ago, I don't know if it has a catalytic converter or not.About two weeks ago I drove my 1983 Dodge van over to Pete Robertson's auto repair shop for a new safety sticker.I don't have to put up with all the hassels like some states do. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Don't ask me...I'm the messenger. Ask Bill, the guy who wrote the original message. Typically you go through a decision tree to decipher a code and track the root cause. You should get hold of that information before you start swapping out parts.

Reply to
John S.

Mark wrote in news:062972ab-be79-4f85-bb51- snipped-for-privacy@64g2000hsu.googlegroups.com:

type "p0420" in google to get some good ideas on what can cause your code besides putting a convertor in in every few months....i have never replaced a convertor (yet) for efficiency problems in 30 yrs. many replacements for damage, but not effeciency....btw: does yor car have a 'smog pump'?.....bill

Reply to
bill

You've been repairing OBDII problems for 30 years?

You need to ask?

.....bill

Reply to
aarcuda69062

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in news:3446fc3e- snipped-for-privacy@b31g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have to say the Walker on my car really was a "direct fit". No fussing with washers and the like was necessary. Even the overall length was pretty much correct.

Reply to
Tegger

aarcuda69062 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.mil.sbcglobal.net:

no. i dont need to ask anything..all my convertors work just fine....i never stated i had worked obd2 for thirty years. i stated i had been involved in smog tech since it started about 30 years ago...not an expert just a student of hard knocks and enjoy making a living..........as far as my question about your antique having a smog pump or not: i have no idea what toyota was using for 02 ingestion for convertors in the last century...in this century smog pumps are more or less a thing of the past unless huge CIDs are involved........but my questions relevance still stands as 1)the convertor is just a huge lung that must have 02 to convert all nasty stuff into sweet stuff for the lefties...2)many smog systems were designed so ineffecient that a 'SMOG PUMP' had to pour mucho extra 02 directly into the convertor to make it function to lefty standards...........bye now............poof

Reply to
bill

bill wrote in news:Xns9B40CEDA89246byteme@69.16.185.247:

That was done for carbureted engines only, I believe.

The glacially slow response time of feedback carbs meant the oxidation side of the cat could get drained of oxygen during the rich phase, so a secondary oxygen supply had to be assured.

I can ssure you the OP's '97 Lexus doesn't have a carburetor.

Reply to
Tegger

You stated that you "never replaced a converter (yet) for efficiency problems in 30 years." Continuous convertor efficiency monitoring has only been around for 13 model years.

I'd be interested to know what method you used for testing catalytic converter -efficiency- 29 years ago. The first decent field test I ever saw was 12 years ago when I was an IM-240 referee and was working with GM on their IM-240 training courses to be used to train dealership technicians.

Not mine.

A 97 model year car is an "antique?"

Interesting... I was setting up my Tech2 to scan a 2004 Chevy Silverado a few days ago, part of the set up was answering whether or not it had a secondary air injection pump.

For the last 28 model years, most "smog pumps" as you call them were used to oxidize carbon monoxide during cold running, once the engine warmed up (usually in a minute or two), the smog pump was disabled or diverted.

Indeed.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

For seams and stuff, you can probably use roofing tar, which is the best undercoating ever invented, if you're not worried about it looking pretty. (Otherwise you can just spray them with high temp stuff and it'll help keep them from corroding.) Just apply with a paint brush. Remove what gets on your body with turpentine. Yes, I've washed my hair with turpentine before after undercoating a car with roofing tar. No big deal.

Reply to
Craig

If one of my old wrecks had a catalytic converter on it,,,,, I would buy a new catalytic converter and put it on there only long enough to pass inspection. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin