Which cars have these features?

Hi all

Am thinking of shipping a US car to the UK and am out of touch with the US car market.

I'm looking for:

  1. a hybrid or diesel car.

  1. fairly luxurious.

  2. with adaptive cruise control (automatically speeds up and slows down according to other cars on the road)

  1. ideally also with lane keeping assist. (automatically monitors road for lane markers and make mini adjustments to the steering to stay in the centre of the lane).

the last two features are available on the Honda accord in the UK.

Can anybody suggest US cars with these features?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Reply to
Broons Bane

I dont know of any 'American' car that can accomplish all this, but maybe I am wrong.

Look to Toyota or Honda, possibly.

Reply to
<HLS

Well, there are LOTS that perform the required functions, but aren't diesel-powered or hybrid (yet, probably coming soon). Currently very few diesel-powered cars are sold in the US because of the combination of restrictive diesel emission laws and the fact that the US is in the middle of moving to ultra-low-sulfur diesel. Once that's done, there will probably be more and more small diesels sold. Several European diesel engines were briefly available in American cars (Jeep Liberty, PT Cruiser) but were pulled because of a change in emission laws last year. They'll be back.

No diesels there, and no "fairly luxurious" hybrids either.

Reply to
Steve

Respectfully, then, they do not accomplish all the prerequisites.

I beg to differ. Luxury is in the mind of the owner. My daughter in law has a Honda hybrid which is comparable to several European cars considered to be luxury items. To me, I would prefer it over a BMW 300 series.

If you are talking about a 'hog' (Am. sl. 'roadhog'), then no. And you might not want such a car for British backroads.

I dont know if Honda or Toyota make diesels for other markets. Many manufacturers do so.

Do VW, Mercedes, and Audi still sell the turbodiesels in the USA?

Reply to
<HLS

FUNCTIONS. You can achieve all the functions without being hybrid or diesel. I did acknowledge that they don't meet the OP's stated prerequisites but DO meet the required functions.

No Honda compares to any European car. At least in the mind of this owner... ;-)

Right now I think only the VW TDi and the Benz E320 are available. The Benz is not sold in several states because it doesn't meet emissions there.

Reply to
Steve

The functions he wanted were his prerequisites.. Simply Semantics, Steve. And nothing meets them, as stated.

Reply to
<HLS

Some of the newer BMW diesels might meet them. They are not sold in the US, but might be available in the UK market. Really great-feeling cars, too, although way overboard on the electrical gee-gaws for my taste.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

To me,my vehicle is for getting from point A to point B.(sometimes,a few other points too) Automatic lane keeping? That is a new one on me.What are steering wheels for anyway? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Indeed... And I neither need nor want a car that will automatically parallel park for me, as the new Lexus is said to be able to do.

Reply to
<HLS

I sure wish some of the OTHER drivers on the road had cars that would automatically parallel park for them, since some of the folks out there are pretty terrible about it.

Of course, the real solution is to buy an MGB or a Fiat 200, and just pick the front end up and carry it into the space.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Or get Michael Fox's levitating skate board.The more fancy cars get,the worst they are.In my opinion. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Don't bother. Buy the car you want when you get in the UK. There are numerous problems with shipping US-market cars to the UK. Emissions, safety, lighting, and so on are all different over there and they may well force you to make the changes before you can license (oops, licence) the car. For example, you'd have to replace the US-spec headlights because they aim in the wrong direction for UK roads.

By the time you've figured out all the things to do, you could have bought a new or used car in the UK and probably saved some money in the process.

Reply to
Bob M.

Good point, Bob. We imported my son's car into Norway, but he had a hard time getting it registered.

Norway uses the same left hand driver position that we do, BUT the key here was the type of headlamp that was mandated in Europe. The Toyota he owned would not accept the European headlamp, and Toyota had never sold that particular model in Europe, so could not offer the proper headlight assembly to make the conversion.

We finally found European assemblies that looked something like the ones in the Toyota, and managed to adapt them to the American version, with a bit of body manipulation, fabricating brackets, sawing away panels.

It is worth thinking about.

(Note...all our American based cars had no problem with pollution devices, etc.)

Reply to
<HLS

Gents.

Ta muchly for your advice!