Which OBD-II scanner to buy?

Hi,

I'm a home mechanic/enthusiast looking for a good OBD-II tool to buy. Most seem to be in the $100 range, so for now, that's my budget.

The vehicle it will be used on is a 1996 camaro z28. I'm looking for something that will let me view sensor values as well as the standard "query/clear codes" feature.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Drago

Most seem to be in the $100 range, so for now, that's my budget.

something that will let me view sensor values as well as the standard "query/clear codes" feature.

Most of them will read and clear codes. You won't be able to read transmission or air bag codes unless you go WAY up in price or use a laptop/software type tool. I have two top end units and one "loaner" that I got from wallyworld. That one actually does as much with powertrain codes as the others but it is limited in options.

Reply to
Steve W.

You might want to look at

Professor

Professor

Ok, I checked out the actron offerings, and while I'd really like to have the CP9145, the CP9135 seems to be more in my budget.

I note the following differences:

1- The 9145 is able to read P1 (not just P0) codes; 2- The 9145 is able to do data snapshots and to some degree data logging 3- Does "Monitor status and I/M Readiness" mean it can read sensor values, or just the "System ready" flag for each subsystem?

Here are my questions about the two models: Does #1 mean I am crippled with regards to GM/Chevy-specific DTCs with the 9135? I assume #2 means that the 9135 can't read sensor values (I also assume this because actron doesn't say that it can)?

Also, any other specific brand recommendations, or brands to avoid? Or should I just go by advertised featureset (hopefully I'm now buzzword compliant after my research: scan and reset DTCs, P0 versus P1, I/M readiness, etc).

Thanks again, josh

Reply to
Drago

Since you mentioned the laptop/software route, I checked around a little, and see that I can get a Proscan kit (software, interface module, cables, etc.) for about $100 on ebay.

Here's one similar to what I'm looking at:

There are a lot of assertions in that advert, i.e. "Virtual drag strip", "share you performance stats with your friends on the internet," etc that I don't care about, but it seems to have the basics, including being able to read DTCs, sensor values, etc.

Has anyone here used this, or have any thoughts on it?

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Drago

Here;s another one for laptops that I ran across:

It's about the same price. I don't have any experience with it or know anything about it beyond what's on the web site. It appears to be a sort of 'open source' system.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with this unit, financial or otherwise, just passing along some info. I've been thinking about ordering one, tho.

Problem is, my Taurus uses CAN (as near as I can tell) so I don't think this will work on it but should do OK with my other OBD-II cars.

Is CAN a superset of OBD-II or is it completely different? Will an OBD-II reader read anything from a CAN system?

Reply to
M.M.

I haven't purchased this device *yet* but I very well may. It supposedly reads codes, sensor information etc... all for 99 bucks... you need a computer to use this program as it plugs in the serial port.

ladeedadeedaadaa

That looks great. I am all about the open source methodology, and pretty excited about this as I run Linux on all my machines. Being pretty handy with a soldering iron I'm also looking forward to building the unit. They have several nice options from fully built for about $96 to $55 with key parts and circuit board, to $38 for just the key parts.

I'm going for the $55 option; it's worth $41 to me to burn an evening building it and maybe have a little fun in the process.

I recall having seen this project in the past; thank you for redirecting my attention to it.

CAN is a bus definition which defines voltages, handshaking, etc , whereas OBD-II really seems to more define the codes and language of vehicle diagnostics. CAN is lower level (as is VPW, PWM, etc) whereas OBD-II is higher level. I seem to recall from my past electronics experience that CAN is used on more embedded applications than just vehicle diags, so in a sense, CAN is a little more widely supported. In the automotive world it seems to be a little bit of a stepchild, however. I note that this kit specifically mentions that it does not support CAN.

Thanks again for the URL. Really handy. I'll post back in a few days once I get the kit, get it built, and tested.

Thanks, josh

Reply to
Drago

Does any of the stuff mentioned here allow you to reset parameters, like idle speed, mixture, *auto trans shift points*, timing, etc.? Any leads on what else can?

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

If you haven't bought, look at the Equus 3110. They should be at $150 within a few weeks. Covers CAN (2003 up, mandatory for 2008) Includes PC software and link. Best bang for the buck.

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Drago wrote:

Reply to
Rex B