Who makes a decent cooling system pressure tester?

Because I bought a Craftsman and it was a POS. The bladder pops off the stem at below the recommended test pressure! I want a decent one now.

Thanks

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Stant.

about $85 US. Most good autoparts should have it.

Reply to
« Paul »

Get the ADC Diagnostix 720 Series Monitor , much better than the Stant.

It just might save your life.

Reply to
dansecat

A blood pressure monitor? WTF I already know how sick I am!

Reply to
Dean

Actually, that isn't a bad idea, if you can figure how to connect the hose from the aneroid sphygmomanometer to the overflow tank with an airtight seal/hose clamp thingy.

You've given me a good idea. I'll see if I can make such an adapter. My pressure cap is set for 16 psi, but I don't know what that translates into millimeters of mercury.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

1 atm = 14.7 PSI = 30 in. Hg (not exactly but close enough for cocktail napkin calculations) and there's 25.4 mm in one inch. do da math...

nate

(at work and too lazy to whip out the calculator)

Reply to
N8N

I thought about just wrapping the cuff thing around the hose.

Reply to
« Paul »

That is not even a good joke. How much pressure would it take to collapse the hose. More than you could come up with...and if you could, the hose would be destroyed in the process.

I tried my aneroid and it has a slow leak. IOW, if I pump it up to a certain pressure, and turn off the intake/output air valve, it slowly loses pressure all by itself. Not quickly, but it is noticeable. I don't know where the leak is coming from either. Everything *looks* OK, but obviously isn't. Maybe I need to put grease on the hose fittings to seal them airtight, or it is a *valve* problem or something along those lines. I'll try the grease first.

Anyhow, not a bad idea.

BTW, you might trying using your blood pressure cuff to measure you fuel pressure from your fuel pump also ;-\ I mean it IS a gauge, isn't it ? Yes or No? You can use it to measure everything up to 300 millimeters of mercury. Which is what in PSI?

I get my info from the OBDII port on fuel pressure anyhow, along with a lot of other *stuff.*

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Who's joking? Collapse what hose? What are you talking about? The blood pressure device does not measure pressure directly. No mainline into your vein and it does not crush your arm... =2E.. Well, at least not my arm. It measures the very slight expansion and contraction of a body part (via air pressure change in the cuff) due to changes =

in blood flow. For a radiator hose, all you would need would be a baseline when cold and a known pressure when hot. =

Btw: 16 psi is the equivalent of 827 mm Hg

Reply to
« Paul »

OK, sorry, my mistake. I don't know about the conversion factor from psi to mm/Hg.

My sphygmo won't read that high anyhow. It was just an idea formed in the vacuum of not knowing the conversion factor from psi to mm/Hg.

I guess we go then with PLAN B!

What is Plan B? I dunno yet ;-) I really don't know, because I have no radiator cap per-se, except for that on my overflow tank, and I don't see what I can do with that without FUBARing it up.

At this point, were I in your situation, I would be heading over to a place like NAPA that sells automotive tools and parts. Call on the phone first to get prices and such. It seems my home-made idea isn't going to work. Just buy a pressure gauge with a pump handle attached to it. I know for a fact Actron sells one under their name for all sorts of measurements, but I don't know about the cap/fitting you would need to fit _your_ vehicle. That's the trick. You have to find something that fits yours. But FWIW, these things are pretty standardized.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman