why biodiesel has high lubricity?

UA's opinion: If you want the best synlube for your car, use Mobil 1 (though NOT in aircraft engines. Application matters). =========================== Whats mobil1 made out of? Is the formula a secret? Is it teflon or something? Or is it a hydrocarbon just like regular lube oil? In which case, why do they call it synthetic? I guess as long as I get to ask a few questions, how much engine oil is used per year in the US? I'll guess 5 qts for every 5000 miles there about...I guess I need to know the number of miles now... 24 quadrillion BTUs is the transportation total used.... so if some algae farm breakthru gives us imported oil independence in a few years, how much crankcase oil will we need and from whence it cometh?

Reply to
BobG

petroleum is merely geologically refined vegetative matter. If you don't want to wait a few hundred million years for the earth to do the refining, you can fast-forward the process by applying energy.

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas

One can fry stuff in silicone oil to pretty much the same bottom line. Lipid as a class that is not destroyed by digestion is excreted with unacceptable results. Olestra is a positive-feedback disaster of poor management (is there any other kind?). They were in the game and were determined to maximize their unrecoverable losses by not admitting them when they were smallish. Engineers knew that the response surface could be optmized.

Occidental Petroleum built a major garbage recycling plant in San Diego. That stuff was not hooking up in space during construction was the first hint. After ferrous metal, metal, and glass were separated the residual organics were anaerobically pyrolyzed into EcoFuel (garboil). It was rich with aldehyde functionality, stank horribly, was a potent allergic sensitizer, was immiscible with hydrocarbon fuel oils... and in the presence of 3-5% water it irreversibly set up to a solid (garbolite). It was management's call that the little wrinkles would be ironed out during plant operation. Engineers knew that the response surface could be optmized. Chemists know that a big pile of fresh manure does not guarantee the proximity of a pony. If you do not have stuff you will not have things.

Sucralose is interesting in a similar manner. The entire armamentarium of in vitro and in vivo biological testings say the pure chemical is harmless in all possible ways. However, it is not ingested as the pure chemical. Sucralose is specifically targetted to baked goods and acid soft drinks wherein aspartame decomposes. A polychlorinated disaccharide under those circumstances is expected to be reactive, to give active alkylating agents as thermolysis and hydrolysis byproducts. Also, the product spec allows up to 150 ppm triphenylphosphine to tag along. Do ya wanna eat that, do ya?

Reply to
Uncle Al

Sucralose is specifically targetted to

I find it less than Splendid, Al. Perhaps I am narrow minded but chlorinated organics are not on my menu.

Good to be back in contact with you.

Reply to
<HLS

Maybe on that VW chick car *you* drive. My chariot has gages.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

What's amazing is the marketing that's done on sucralose. There's no mention of it's chlorinated composition anywhere. They don't even call it sucralose anymore, probably to divert attention from its chemistry - most food cos. use it's brand name Splenda.

It's everywhere, specially on diabetic products. It's just sad that a lot of Americans are so ignorant and are falling for this huge health threat.

Reply to
A Espinoza

You could increase the oiling properties by adding a long molecule additive (slowly) to the oil when it is warm and running (think STP in the very old days, but something similar would work as well) I personally think that this sort of thing is only crucial in a few circumstances, such as not running an engine for a looonnng time and then expecting it to run and work under load ASAP. With some antique cars, I turn them over on the starter--fuel or spark OFF-- until pressure is up and running, at least thirty seconds or so, in two or three bursts. I also turn over engines on the starter--without gas or spark-- several times on their long sleep over winter, without running them, just to get fresh oiling internally. The only other circumstance where oiling is crucial is where there is a supercharger or similar unit. Never turn off hot and bothered abruptly--let the the unit slow down by itself by idling the engine for a couple of minutes--keep the bearings oiled. Similarly, let a motor run to warm before putting it and a supercharger under stress.

Jim Bartley on PEI *just an opinion*

Reply to
George Mills

THEY market it as being totally safe.

Not for me, buddy. Chlorinated organics of any type raise my suspicion, and Splenda isn't Splendid for me.

I wont eat it. I, and my diabetic father-in-law, limit our sweeteners to fructose, and we tolerate it well.

Reply to
<HLS

Yeah, right up until that local, small-time, financially-stressed/greedy station-owner/franchisee gets an "interesting" idea...

...And decides to cook the books to cover up the addition of his/her home-brewed biodiel to the main tanks, while charging customers (e.g. you) as if it were pure, official, big-time oil-co product.

Kinda like a dope dealing cutting that fine, pure Peruvian coke with powdered baby laxative, and that Mexican black-tar heroin with dogshit.

Like my home cooking with the organic vegetables that I grow. As opposed to the pure, official, e-coli- infected crapburgers available from Jack-In-The-Box.

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

You must drive a piece of GM junk, if they're gages.

My vehicles have *gauges*.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

...and Lead Tetraethyl.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

biodiesel is a surfactant, one end of the molecule is non-polar, hydrocarbon, the other end is more polar, being a methylated carboxylic acid.

j.

Reply to
A faint wind, blowing from World's End

Are you saying that biodiesel is made up of a single molecule type, and not a mixture of many HC molecules like petroleum?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

crude has lots of components. Refined product is... refined. Gasoline has but 2 or three main components.

How homogenous brewed biodiesel is, depends on how much work was done to clean it up and, uh... refine it. The homebrew stuff is fairly sloppy. Lot of guys use waste cooking oil as feedstock, then clean the biodiesel up with waterwashing just enough to keep an engine running. tends to slowly (or not so slowly!) clog up fuel filters, but they view that as an acceptable tradeoff.

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas

This is very misleading. Much of the homebrew stuff is every bit as good as astm standard. Filters do not clog any faster than dino diesel. There is a higher cloudpoint than dino, but that's a characteristic of the original oil source.

promotes good, clean biodiesel.

Reply to
Steve Spence

I'd take that statement with a few hundred pounds of salt until I saw hard test results.

Reply to
Steve

Hang out in the biodiesel groups and look at the test results. We work hard at making sure we teach folks how to make quality biodiesel.

Reply to
Steve Spence

What kind of wine goes with a nice biodiesel scampi with risotto?

Reply to
clifto

Injection port.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

you seem to be a very nice and well-intentioned gentleman, but you've apparently never studied petroleum refining very closely.

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas