Why Won't a Frozen Battery Start a Vehicle.

A battery that is perfectly good why when it is -30C won't it start a vehicle. Please note we are referring to a perfectly good battery and a totally functioning car. What is happening to the battery that it cannot crank the starter fast enough. Chemically something is happening inside the battery. Is it the electrolyte that freezes and chemically do what it should do? Does something happen to the lead plates? Does the 12 volts drop to a lower voltage? Does the current output of the battery drop?

The cold is doing something to the battery What Is That Something? Well informed auto mechanics please step up to the plate!

I do not need to start my vehicle my spare battery connected in parallel with the frozen battery does that.

If your frozen battery won't start your vehicle and you remove it and take it indoors and let it heat up to house temperature, after reinstall it on the vehicle' it will then start the vehicle.

What is happening to the battery internally at -30C?

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

the electrolyte goes to mexico

Reply to
tnuc

Hi, Better go back to high school chemistry text book. It's all in there. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes

Yes

You bet!

Reply to
Mike

Can you put out a lot of energy at -30C? Batteries do lose ability to provide sufficient starting current as the electrolyte temp falls to extremely low temps.

Look for a AC powered battery blanket heater or plate to keep the battery warm.

Even keep> A battery that is perfectly good why when it is -30C

Reply to
Mike Behnke

And why do you think that was?

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Voltage is generated by a chemical reaction. Cold slows chemical reactions down (well, most common ones). IOW, the chemical reaction in the battery is too slow to produce enough current to run the starter while maintaining a normal voltage, so the voltage drops.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Yep. Nothing to do with an unheated garage.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Two reasons.

One the chemical reaction in the battery is slow in the cold and two the oil in the engine on all the moving parts is cold and thick.

Combine them and sometimes not enough power is left over to fire off a good spark.

I have seen it work when then headlights were pulled on for a couple minutes before trying the starter. That can heat up the battery enough sometimes but is a last ditch effort.

A battery blanket to heat it or a block heater to heat the oil on the moving parts and away you go.

Mike

Denny B wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
ottertailfamily

the rule in the universe is as the temperature goes down, virbrating atoms slow down to which is less energy. Everything is subject to dropping temperature except at different degrees. But all will freeze at absolute zero or -273 far. A good general rule is that heat speeds it up, and cold slows it down. for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

Hi, I am afraind 0 deg. K is -273 C. not F. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

His point is still valid though. An unheated garage is a warmer area than that area just outside the garage.

Reply to
Bob M.

You are right, but I hope it did not degrade to much from the point I tried to make. I will be more carefull with details. I do remember that cold enough will affect everything though. for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Plus even at 0K you have quantum fluctuations and perhaps even string vibration.

Most of the truly interesting reactions in the universe take place within half a dozen degrees of 0K. The others are slotted at near 310K and at over a million.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

I think I arrived at the end of my knowledge about the subject. I just know enough which can be more of a liability than being ignorant. Mostly general rules because I am not intelligent enough to get to many details. Just rules like how do you know if a electrical gadget is to hot. Generaly if its not a gadjet for making things hot, then if its to hot to touch, its probably malfunctioning. Or even more simple, don,t press read bottons if you don,t know what its for. (this one is dumb though)

Reply to
David Askari

At minus 30, how much warmer is a garage to make a difference? I mean when the battery reaches that low temp, it won,t crank no matter where it is. maybe a attached garage is valid.

Reply to
David Askari

Reply to
Mike Behnke