Wierd ABS problem - 98 pontiac grand am

I have a 98 Pontiac GrandAm V6 with ~ 115K miles on it. I started the car, started driving and suddenly the car felt like it slipped out of gear. The check engine, brake and ABS lights all came on. I shut the car off, restarted it but the lights are all still on and now the car won't go into gear.

Any ideas?

- Vinny -

Reply to
Vinny

Time to go to tranny shop...

Reply to
gobroncos

I think I didn't describe the symptoms correctly. It's not that I shift into drive and the car won't move. The gearshift will not move into the drive position. It's like the brake interlock will not release the gear shifter. Still might be a tranny problem but I'm guessing it's in the brake system somewhere.

Reply to
Vinny

This sounds like much better news. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the mechanics/electronics involved regarding this scenario. Brakes must be applied before gearshift is allowed to move into gear, but whether this is controlled electronically or mechanically I simply dont know.

Reply to
gobroncos

Reply to
Mike Walsh

It could also be the neutral safety switch if it has one.

Reply to
blur

It could also be the neutral safety switch if it has one.

Chris

Reply to
blur

It turned out it was a fuse. The ELRC fuse or something like that. Not sure why it blew but that was the culprit.

- Vinny -

Reply to
Vinny