Wierd braking problem... ABS? Help!

I've got a wierd problem to figure out, my next step is to take it to a dealer to try and figure out what's going on, but I thought I'd try here first...

I've got a 1999 Monte Carlo LS with 125,000 miles on it.

When I brake, hard or soft, with traction (ie: ABS doesn't engage and "Traction" light doesn't come on), When I get below 20mph, I get sounds coming from the front end like the ABS system is starting to engage, but doesn't modulate the brakes. My ABS system works flawlessly on ice and areas of no traction, but I'm getting the noise every time I stop. It seems like the ABS system wants to engage, but then doesn't...

Any ideas?

Reply to
mfshadow

Checke the abs rings on the ends of the axles for cracks. The sensor won't really pick this up at high speeds, but at slower speeds it can definately throw off the signal to the ABS computer.

Reply to
Imknotright

You nailed it right on the head, I had it in a couple of weeks ago, and they replaced the axle shaft. Thanks for the diagnosis, it was your info that convinced me to take it in!

Reply to
mfshadow

Glad to help.

Reply to