Will my exhaust fall off ?

I have an 85 Chevy Caprice. Just noticed the tailpipe has rusted off at the back of the muffler. Nothing is dragging. The tailpipe is resting on the rear axle. I checked for hangers, and the only hanger I can see for the entire exhaust is at the tailpipe. So my entire exhaust system ( cat, inter pipe, and muffler) is attached only to the engine exhaust pipe. No hangers. Again, nothing is dragging, but how long can I go like this ? I'm afraid something will snap off ! I don't want to take time off from work, therefore will need to wait at least a few more days before I take it in. Been driving it like this for 3 days already.

Thanks

Reply to
Lecher9000

Watch out for speed bumps!

Your instincts are correct, it will snap off eventually....

Mike

Lecher9000 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yeah, I saw a lot of exhaust systems complete with mufflers laying on and beside the roadways when I was in Detroit this last summer. Probably counted half a dozen just in the drive from the airport up to Flint. LOL!

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan