window motor removal? Cavalier

'04 Cavalier, driver's front window. The lift motor is failing. Can the motor be replaced without removing the regulator?

I find a few URLs implying that you can ...

... and my '99 service manual says the same. But, i haven't found anything that says how to get the motor out, once the rivets are drilled. More-or-less, they just say "take it out."

OTOH, most URLs ... (eg)

start by taking out the regulator, and then unbolting the motor from it. They talk of springs that hold the motor and regulator together, which sounds like it could get pretty ugly trying to do it inside the door, not that you could see to do it anyway.

I don't mind taking the regulator out, but I'd rather not, if it's not necessary - less work is better.

Thanks.

Reply to
George

Put window all the way up. Tape it in position. Pull inner panel. Connect new motor and test to make sure it works. Drill out the rivets that hold the old motor to the regulator. Pull motor away from regulator, lower and remove under the regulator. Place new motor in position, bolt or rivet in place (depends on the hardware in the kit). Reconnect it and remove the tape. Cycle the window a few times and spray a bit of DRY lube on the rails. Install the inner panel and enjoy.

Reply to
Steve W.

... It looks like the motor is riveted to the regulator, so I'll just take the whole thing out. If anything more interesting shows up, I'll report back.

George

you can purchase the motor with or without the regulator. Much cheaper for just the motor.

Reply to
m6onz5a

right. but i'd still remove the regulator and grease the heck out of it. they get sticky over time, and that increased load burns the motor. the new one won't last either if it's confronted with the same situation.

Reply to
jim beam

It's just a hunch but I suspect many window motors (and perhaps regulators) are damaged by slamming the door. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

IMO I think a lot comes from holding the button too long when the window gets to the top or bottom.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Maybe all the newer plastic and cable ones. Not the beefy all metal ones like in the OP's 2004 Cavy. IMO, of course. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Hole a slot car stationary for ten minutes and see if the motor is worn out when you let go. It's not. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

FWIM, slamming doors is not an issue. The motor works a bit, then overheats. After it cools, it runs for a while again. Same thing when it's outside the car. IIRC, I ran into some URLs saying this was not uncommon.

And, WRT the original question: taking out the regulator is the only way to change the motor. Not a big deal; I wasted more time trying to avoid doing that than it took to actually take it out. A lot of things are like that.

Reply to
George