Window tinting limits for multi-passenger vehicles vs. regular cars

Does anybody here know why some states (such as Virginia, where I live) allow multi-passenger vehicles to have MUCH darker window tinting than regular cars? I wanted to tint my 4-door VW sedan's rear- side and back windows darkish (around 20% VLT) like the many vans and SUVs I see around, but then found out about Virginia's legal limits for regular cars (35% VLT--much lighter than 20%). I don't understand thereason for the distinction. Anybody care to comment?

Reply to
plabolot

I'm just guessing here, but maybe the limo industry was part of the process. Likely, the police were behind wanting limits and agreed with the limo industry that people with firearms and bad intentions were less likely to be lurking in commercial vehicles. Howzat?

Talking to a tint guy in Florida and his recommendation was put on the tint you want. If you get stopped, rip it off then and there and you likely won't get a ticket (the LEO likely won't want to waste his time in court over a problem that's already been corrected).

Pete

Reply to
ratatouillerat

I'd say that is bad advice in VA as cops just love to give tickets

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Limos. The governor can have deeply tinted windows, but you cannot.

And be aware that Virginia is _very_ aggressive about enforcing the tinted window laws.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to
mr.som ting wong

I can understand that most criminals might not be driving commercial vehicles such as sight-seeing buses or limousines. But they could easily be driving SUVs, pickup trucks, or family vans, all of which can have VERY dark windows here in VA.

PL

Reply to
Kardek

Apparently not just the governor, but also the millions who happen to own SUVs, vans, or pickup trucks. Somehow cars have been singled out on this issue. Thanks for the warning about Virginia.

PL

Reply to
Kardek

I can understand that most criminals might not be driving commercial vehicles such as sight-seeing buses or limousines. But they could easily be driving SUVs, pickup trucks, or family vans, all of which can have VERY dark windows here in VA. PL

Reply to
plabolot

Apparently not just the governor, but also the millions who happen to own SUVs, vans, or pickup trucks. Somehow cars have been singled out on this issue. Thanks for the warning about Virginia.

PL

Reply to
plabolot

In my original post I said "multi-passenger vehicles." That should have been "multi-purpose passenger vehicles" plus pickup trucks, which get a break from the regulation.

PL

Reply to
plabolot