window works sporadically

My friend has a 2011 Nissan Verse and the front window stopped working.

The switch felt funny and after a week or more, he changed the switch.

Still didn't work. After a few more days, did work!!

Can you explain this?

Is there a circuit breaker in the motor? What would make it trip?

Could it take 14 days before it reset itself?

Thanks.

Reply to
micky

In my experience I've never had a motor itself go bad but I've had plenty of the gears turn to dust (you'll still hear the motor spinning or clunking but the window doesn't move) or the window switches go bad. Was it one of the windows that has two switches, like the front passenger window or a rear window. On some cars if either of the two switches is bad neither of the switches will work (the electricity goes thru both of them when you use either of them)

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Easy explanation! It's got to be one of these: bad motor bad wiring bad switch bad gears bad slides bad relay bad circuit breaker bad thermal switch bad ground bad connection bad plug bad install Or a combination of any or all of the above.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I meant to say driver's window.

When it works it works fine.

bad.

Yeah, that's why he first bought a new set of switches (4 windows switches, door locks, and some other button, in one unit) He was pretty disapointed when he put them in and it still didnt' work. Then he noticed he'd put in the original swtiches. So he got the ones from Ebay and put them in and it still didn't work. At least they were only $32

No. Driver's window.

Yeah, when I take the right door panel off, I have to plug the window switch in at least or even the driver's switches don't work.

So, do you think it can take 14 days for the thermal breaker to reset itself?

Reply to
micky

This is great. I'll tell him.

Do you think it can take 14 days before the thermal switch resets itself?

Reply to
micky

I suppose it is possible, however I would never expect that. A thermal switch is typically a bi-metallic strip. They bend back to normal position when they cool off. Corrosion, dirt, or damage might prevent it from making contact again.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Right. He is implying that perhaps you swapped out the switch assembly on the wrong side. And that maybe the passenger's side switches are actually the bad ones. If you fiddle with the passenger's switches do the driver's side ones start working again?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Switches in the line above should have been switch, singular.

But there is no passenger-side switch for the driver's-side window.

Thanks.

Reply to
micky

Oh yeah. Good point

Disappointig for a car less than 4 years old, if that's the problem, or regardless.

Well last I heard it's working. He said he wouldn't raised it up and down in a short time, but I don't know if he ever did that in the past.

BTW, he knows he had the new swtich propertly installed because the other 3 windows worked. And becaue the driver's window worked finally a few days later. It's a real nuisance because he delivers papers (including checks I guess and maybe even money?) for banks etc. and can't leave the window open when he's inside, and I guess when he has 7 or more hours of work ahead of him, has too much to carry in with him at every stop. One time he had to deliver something from Baltimore to an embassy in DC. Yeah, I know, anyone can walk up to the door, but still.

Reply to
micky

I wouldn't think it would take more then an hour tops.

Just as a point of info, the main drivers door switch in my 92 explorer was having problems not powering one of the windows. So I bought a new switch that was labeled as made by AC Delco from Amazon. Of the four switches on it (one for each window), one of them would not work at all and another one had to be pressed REALLY hard to make it work. I sent it back and ordered from a different vendor. This second new switch was barely any better, there is one switch that I have to press pretty hard to get it to power the window. So just because your friend bought new switches is no guarantee they work.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Wow. That's pretty bad. What a story.

He bought his from Ebay, which compared to your story might be a better source because maybe they are OEM from real junk cars;

Anyhow, it did eventually start working with the replacement switch. By this time he didn't have the vim to put the original switch back in just to check it. I hope he saved the original switch. We tried looking at wires, but there were 7 of them. Anyhow I can see a wire that goes from the door to the car breaking, but not one from the armrest to the motor. It barely flexes at all.

So that leaves the motor and its thermal thing, and he said he would just not tax the motor too much. I don't think he's priced an Ebay motor yet. ;-)

Reply to
micky