Windshield wash fluids.

What is the best kind of windshield wash fluid to use? I have always used the traditional blue fluid, but now there are higher priced ones like RainX, and a clear one by Prestone that comes in a small bottle, etc.

Are the higher priced ones worth the extra cost? Can you mix the blue fluid with the other orange fluids? (The quick oil change places always top if off with blue fluid.)

Reply to
Bailey B

Bailey snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bailey B) wrote in news:8341-49269E6C-829@storefull-

3233.bay.webtv.net:

Living in the North-eastern rust belt, I go through more than ten gallons a winter, and I've tried most of them on the market.

It's been my experience that the cheapest blue fluid works just fine. You can mix anything with anything; it's all miscible, and basically the same stuff.

I would stay away from Rain-X and other fluids that put a film on the glass; wipers in proper working order work best on clean, uncoated glass. Using products like Rain-X in an attempt to solve streaking problems is a band-aid fix at best.

If you've got problems keeping your windshield streak and squeak-free, then you have one or more of these issues:

- Road film on glass and/or rubber

- Worn wiper rubbers

- Worn wiper blades (the metal part that holds the rubber)

- Aftermarket wiper components

- Wiper arms that do not pivot freely as they climb the glass

Reply to
Tegger

One can no longer go by the color. They are not coding by the standards they used to. Also, isopropyl seems to have disappeared, and methanol is colored both blue and red.

I object to methanol because the stuff can be harmful to paint, but that is all I can get these days.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I think a lot of it has to do with where you are and what the road conditions are.

If it's cold, you want something with a lot of methanol in it so that it doesn't freeze. If it's dusty you don't care so much about the methanol, you want more soap. Of course, too much soap can be bad for your car's finish, so you don't want too much soap if you have an older car without a silicone clearcoat. If it rains a lot, you might like the Rain-X additive, which is a silicone compound that sticks to the windshield; it works much better than the other Rain-X products, I think.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Mix your own. Water, 92% isopropanol from the drug store, and a little dishwashing liquid.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You can absolutely do this. I bought a gallon of special car wash liquid that is supposed to be kind to the paint, and I substitute a skoshi of this instead of dishwashing liquid.

I have never seen any of them, no matter the price or the claims, that are superior with respect to removing bug splatter.

Reply to
HLS

I've use Rain-X in my Bonneville for over 15 years and it seems to work the same as the blue washer fluid in other cars we have here at home. Rain-X brand does stain your washer bottle orange thought...

harryface

91 Bonneville 316,700 05 Park Avenue 80,001
Reply to
Harry Face

It never freezes where I live so they don't sell windshield washer with alcohol, and the blue stuff seems to be just colored water. I make my own with glass cleaner and vinegar.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

And if you really want squeaks, go buy some of the Silicone wiper blades..... They actually work great, they wipe so clean that they squeal like a squeegee on the glass...

Reply to
Steve W.

Save money. Mix your own. This is what I have used for years.

Window Cleaner Recipe

To make a gallon, 10 oz. ammonia, 1 tsp. liquid dish detergent, with water as the remainder.

Reply to
B-17

Consumer union did a test of typical window cleaners years ago as well as their version of "home brew". Their home brew was essentially what you are mixing. It worked as well or better then any of the regular store bought window cleaners.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

These fluids are not rocket science, for sure.

I dont like to put either ammonia or vinegar in this sort of thing. The possibility for corrosion exists in either case, and -to me- the risk does not justify the reward.

Reply to
HLS

There is always a tradeoff. Ammonia is a good glass cleaner but will shorten the life of wipers and window seals. Vinegar is the only thing I have found that will remove the grime from ground water that blows on my windows from lawn sprinklers.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

the life of wipers and window seals. Vinegar is the only thing I have found that will remove the grime from ground water that blows on my windows from lawn sprinklers.

Well, yeah. That's not "grime," its calcium carbonate that was dissolved in the water and remains when the water evaporates. The reason vinegar works is because its acidic... the same reason I wouldn't want to always be exposing the car's chassis metal to it.

Reply to
Steve

I drive a cab. I put 40 to 50 K on my car a year. I love RainX products but have not had to spring for the exspensive wiper blades. My wiper blades last a long time and I think it is because of the RainX fluid. Actually the blades are a secondary concern because of the RainX wiper fluid, if that makers any sense, it works for me. The original wipe-on RainX product is even better but the wiper fluid will work well enough. Yes the fast oil change place put in the blue stuff couple of weeks ago so I have to remember to tell them I'll use my own. Still it mixed with what I had and is not to big a deal. Not really bad weather here yet.

Reply to
disston