Windshield wiper adjustment

Vehicle is a 2001 GMC Sonoma. The driver side windshield wiper will not wipe clean. Makes scrunching noises, etc. I replaced the blade but to no avail.

I noticed that the contact angle of the blade with the windshield is about

90 degrees when it should be inclined to correspond to the wipe. Thus, the blade does not wipe....it skitters across the glass.

Is there a tool to use to measure the blade angle mht the glass so that I can bend the arm to a proper angle, or is this a "by guess and by gosh" scenario.

This thing has become dangerous in wet weather.

This is just another case of shitteaux GM engineering.

Reply to
HLS

Eyeball it, use a crescent wrench to twist the arm. It *should* be just about 90 degrees - more than a couple degrees one way or another will cause it to skitter.

I've had this with all types of vehicles, not just GM.

Also some wiper blades get hard before others... silicone ones are the only ones I've used that last any significant period of time in the weather we have around here. If your arms are really exactly 90 degrees to the windshield and they still skitter, your blades are probably hard.

In GM's defense, the factory wipers on my '08 Impala are still going (they're the new Bosch Icon-esque ones) which is far longer than any other non-silicone wipers I've ever had, so they must have improved them. They streak a little but still flip over quite nicely.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It could be the spring in the wiper arm has weakened. Might be time for a new wiper arm.

Reply to
m6onz5a

These are new blades, so orientation is the only logical fix. GM is just a sore on my rump these days. This little shitteaux pickup just ate a $600 V7 compressor with something like 35000 miles on it. More crap from GM. It has eaten an alternator, a computer, two oxygen sensors, and now the freaking AC compressor (which is apparently their shitteaux design...design to fail)

Thanks Nate

Reply to
HLS

Which engine? Looks like for the 4.3 new OEM with clutch is $325 shipped.

The same for the 2.2 is $345.
I wouldn't touch a reman. BTDT. As monz said, you might need a new wiper arm. If it's the 2.2 engine, I'm interested in your impressions. Looks like a cheap used Malibu is in my future.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Sometimes the windshield can get a film or deposits. Try *really* cleaning it. If you're unlucky, it's one of those mystery substance films that don't respond to Windex or Bon Ami.

Reply to
ed.toronto
2.2 litre Ecotech

I found a new one, import, for a little over $200. But I dont know if this POS is worth the trouble.

Reply to
HLS

Sometimes the windshield can get a film or deposits. Try *really* cleaning it. If you're unlucky, it's one of those mystery substance films that don't respond to Windex or Bon Ami.

************

Thanks.. I have also seen this. But in this case, it is not the problem. It is a misalignment.

Reply to
HLS

Re the engine, Vic, it is rather underpowered, and gets terrible mileage. It never hit 20 mpg on its best day. But, I have had no deep problems with it either.

Reply to
HLS

I rented a 2004 Malibu 2.2 Ecotec with 5k miles on it for a Florida trip, and got +30 total for the entire @3.5k miles I used it. As I recall it was getting about 34 hiway and about 22 city. Thought it was a 6 when I picked it up, but I'm accustomed to really anemic 4's. Looks like apple and oranges with your truck. I spent a bit of time looking up the engine, and its relatively short evolution has been a busy one. Opel originally, GM's "global engine," looks like the latest gen is

2.4. Made in Tenn, NY and Germany, etc, etc, etc. New crate engine can be had for $3k. Think I paid $1800 for a new Rocket 307 about 8 years ago. Again, apples/oranges. I really don't want to move from the pushrod 3.1 and external water pump, but it might be more practical in a couple years.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

A lot of people have been surprised at the low mileage of this vehicle but it IS a pickup truck. Apart from the gearing and aerodynamics, the transmission pushes the engine to very high RPM when climbing hills, and this is a killer for economy.

This truck belongs to my FIL. I would not buy it on a bet, but drive it occasionally to keep the battery up and the seals flexible.

Reply to
HLS