Working 6 months per year and moving around

If I want to work as an automechanic 6 months out of the year, moving to a new location each year, is this impractical?

I mean are there say temporary jobs in auto mechanic where I could go in to a new place, work 6 months, and then move on?

Any assistance appreciated, Jeff W.

Reply to
jeff

||If I want to work as an automechanic 6 months out of the year, moving ||to a new location each year, is this impractical? || ||I mean are there say temporary jobs in auto mechanic where I could go ||in to a new place, work 6 months, and then move on?

A good tech can find work anywhere, anytime. If you fit that description, have a good tool set, and leave good references behind you, you can do what you want. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Well, there's always JiffyLube and Pep Boys. But if you mean a real mechanic job in a real repair shop or dealer, it would help if you were a really good mechanic *and* had some certification.

And if you want to go somewhere where there is a shortage of good mechanics and they advertise >$100K to start (for example, some dealerships in the DC area) it shouldn't be a problem. But if you want to go to someplace where everybody else wants to live, too, who knows?

And it would help if you had a compelling human interest story to tell in job interviews, such as "I am a lifeguard at Waimea for six months a year" or "I'm a full-time baseball scout during the baseball season", just to have them not look at you like you're some kind of bum or slacker. Getting references to show six months down the line might help also.

If you don't care where you spend the working six months, that is, if you're free to go where the work is, it should be relatively easier.

I once worked as a computer consultant with another consultant whose parents were elderly and he was an only child. He lived on Ocracoke in the Carolina Outer Banks six months a year, chilling, and spent six months of the year on the road consulting. It can be done.

Reply to
Dan Goodman