Worn alternator slip ring can damage electronics?

When my alternator died and I took it to a repair shop that specializes in Alternator rebuilds. I said my brushes were worn so he put in new brushes. It took couple hours to do. Later, I install the alternator into the car and it works just as fine. The battery cranks just fine everyday.

When the alternator dies it blows two tail center brake light bulbs. I'm fearing the computer's next. What happens when the slip ring runs out?

TIA, BMW 318ti `96.

Reply to
Tibur Waltson

JimV

Why would you take a part in that is broken and 'tell' them only to fix half of it?

You are/could be describing toasted diodes in the voltage regulator. That can allow high voltage to come out of the alternator. This blows bulbs and will blow electronics too.

If it was mine, I would get a multimeter on it fast to check the output before I fried something more expensive than a couple bulbs.

Mike

Tibur Walts>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Why did I fix half? Good question. I regret it. It's only 60 bucks. A new one cost $260. I don't mind towing. (I have free unlimited towing.)

If the battery acts like a huge capacitor, then the blown bulbs were just coincident. I believe the alternator burns the filaments at

17-volts. But that's not possible since it can't even do14.4-volts.

After installation it reads 13.7-volts under load, without load,

13.6 @750-5000rpm. Not bad but I hate to try to fix a not- too-bad dynamo. The car does start every morning. Unless it can do damage to drive a car in this condition.

Tibur

Reply to
Tibur Waltson