Worst thing you can do to a transmission?

I'll bet you $20 that it ALSO has an oil-to-water unit inside the radiator. Virtually all automatics do- the oil-to-air external units are typically in addition to the primary in-radiator unit.

Reply to
Steve

I won't take that bet because you are probably correct.

One thing about this taurus radiator... It is going to be HELL to get it out when the day comes to do so. It is not an open design where you can just reach around it. There are duel fans in there and a whole bunch of other s**te that have to be dealth with before you can even get to the radiator mounting points.

There are a lot of tubes going into it. That is one part of the vehicle that is a FUBAR design imo. It looks like a nightmare to replace. Even the hoses going to it look like a nightmare to replace...on the radiator side.

Something you would definitely save for a warm sunny summer weekend, if you're a DIY'er like myself. Stock up on groceries first. It could take a couple days to do the switch !!!

I would send you pics, but I don't have a camera.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I see your point nate. It depends on the car and driving conditions. In the summertime, standing in stop and go traffic, if I had to do that a lot, I would look into the idea of a separate oil cooler, but Scott says there is probably already one in my radiator. He's probably right. If you can -find- my radiator, buried under all the junk attached behind the front grill. It is really a mess in that area under my hood. Something I might consider taking in under warranty repair, and even paying the $100 deductible to let someone else deal with it. Although I have changed radiators before by myself, this is a real FUBAR design ford has come up with.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Run it dry.

--------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

I can't imagine why anybody would add

OK, I have a good story for this thread. It's very "That 70s Show" LOL

My brother was junking a car once a very long time ago (1965 or 66 Dodge Dart, 225, w/auto IIRC). Thing ran like a Swiss watch, but the body was so smashed up & rusty that there wasn't anything to attach new parts to. When the tranny started slipping really bad at something like 250k on it, off to the boneyard it went - under it's own power.

We all piled into the car with another car in chase for the ride home. There were something like 5 or 6 of us, all high school buddies hanging around the garage I worked at. This was in rural 1970s Wisconsin and the junkyard was about 25 miles from where we started out. About half way there, the tranny wouldn't shift above 2nd and we still had about 12~15 miles or so to go. We also had only about 1/2 can of used tranny fliud from the garage with us to try to make the trip (thing leaked like a seive) and it didn't seem to be enough to get there, hardly any difference.

Since we were also drinking beer that day we had a simple solution to the problem. Everybody had to pee anyway, so we stuck a funnel in the tranny fill tube and everyone took turns taking a whiz in the tranny.

It made it to the junkyard just fine, but it stunk like you wouldn't believe. We couldn't keep a straight face at the boneyard and the old geezer there said something about us all acting like we were "taking pot or something". When he looked over the car, he asked if we hit a skunk or something - we all just busted out laughing and couldn't stop or even say anything. I'm sure that didn't convince him we weren't as wasted as he suspected.

I hope nobody bought the car for that tranny. ;)

Cheers, - Jeff G

Reply to
Keep YerSpam

I was a passenger when something similar happened. The driver was used to driving his manual-trans work van, and thoughtlessly moved the shifter from Drive to Park in an attempt to change down. (This car had the more usual arrangement of P-R-N-D-2-1).

The car made a dreadful noise and lurched to a halt, and fortunately, the transmission wasn't damaged.

Reply to
Old Wolf

Some of the garages in my area, include a throttle body clean as part of their standard service. Actually it cost NZ$100, but I suppose it cleaned a bit more than just the plate. The guy had a bottle of stuff, which he hooked up to my fuel lines. So the car idles off this bottle for 15 minutes (and not using the fuel tank), until the bottle runs out.

Reply to
Old Wolf

Yah, sounds like you got a fuel system flush. Seeing the price.

I just used the spray cleaner and an old toothbrush on the throat. Never touched the butterfly valve with anything other than the spray.

Then air blasted the *stuff* out of the throat until everything was dry and clean. Now, surging is a thing of the past. Although I did the same with the IAC valve, that wasn't the problem. The throttle plate and throat were the problem.

Such a simple solution. Such a simple problem to fix. Yet...I bet that people drive to the dealership with that *problem* every day and are sold a bill of goods they don't need.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Dammit, that explains why the Chevette I had was "cured". It was a '76 with 135K miles on it in 1988 and every so often lost power to the point of stumbling and dying. Mechanic friend suggested some carb spray then revving the engine up and choking the air off to almost dying with your hands over the carb then opening it up- repeat a couple of times. Fixed it. Hmmm....

Reply to
EatMe

What that does is gices the carb an ununsually high vacuum, so if there's any crap in it, it gets sucked out of the little passages....

nate

Reply to
N8N

Auto or manual?

I would think jamming it into reverse when going about 80 ought to do the trick.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Well, actually, the correct answer would seem to be "give Nate the keys to your car, and tell him that you don't care whether it runs or not when he gives it back."

:)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Whether that's bad or not depends on the transmission. The park-lock mechanism on Chrysler Torqueflites is designed ratchet harmlessly in such a case. Makes a God-awful racket, but doesn't hurt anything. I can't really describe it very well in prose, but if you take one apart you can see what's going on and why it doesn't do any damage. There's a spring-loaded spherical sleeve on a shaft that gets forced between rotating and fixed teeth to lock the output shaft to the case when you put it in "Park". At a certain torque, the spring gives and the "ball" pops out from between the teeth. Its got plenty of holding power to keep this from happening on a steep hill, but won't lock up and shred things if you accidentally hit park while moving. At least for a few times... I imaging that the "ball" takes a pretty good pounding when the mechanism is working.

"Past drive and into PARK?" Do you mean "Past reverse and into park," or was this an older GM or something with a different shifter pattern than "PRND21?"

Reply to
Steve

"*" wrote

No.