Yokohama Avid TRZ vs. YK520

Short question: Should I buy Yokohama Avid TRZs or Yokohama YK520s (or neither -- something else?)

Background: I want to admit up front that I don't know much about cars or tires. However, I do drive one (a car, that is), so I appreciate any advice. I drive a 2000 Toyota Solara, tire size P205/60R-16 on California roads (in other words, this car rarely sees snow). I drive somewhat aggressively, although there are many who drive much more so. My current tires are Yokohama YK420s. In spite of their 55,000 mile warranty, after 40,000 miles the front tires are at 2.5/32" and the rear are at 3/32". So, I'm looking for new tires -- ideally, some that will last a little longer, although of course there are other considerations. I have to say I was never all that crazy about my current tires -- they always felt as though they were "tracking" off in their own direction. (But maybe that was my imagination). Anyway... I read a recent Consumer Reports article and came up with Yokohama Avid TRZs as a tire that (according to CR) had "excellent" dry braking, hydroplaning handling, and ride, and "pretty good" tread life and wet braking. However, when I called up my local America's Tire Company (who sold me my last set of tires), the person on the phone said that they would be a "step down" from my current tires, and that I would have to work so hard to brake that I'd end up wearing them out quickly, too. He recommended the Yokohama YK520s, which (a little research showed) are made exclusively by Yokohama for America's Tire Company. Now, that doesn't mean they are bad, of course, but I have to wonder if this guy just wanted to sell me the tires that he had in stock, rather than going through the effort of ordering me Avid TRZs, which he did not have in stock.

Thoughts?

Reply to
R. Millstein

I'm having great luck with Yokohama AS430's in 235-45-17 on my Volvo V70 2.5T. Can't tell you much about the tires you mentioned, but the tire rack reviews might be consulted for a consensus overall opinions. Specific comments are not worth a lot. It's gonna be tough to find someone who has used both those tires.

Also take a look at the Yokohama website. When I was shopping for tires about 6 months ago I found it to be very complete and the guy on their 800 line was quite helpful as well.

R. Millste> Short question: Should I buy Yokohama Avid TRZs or Yokohama YK520s (or

Reply to
John S.

Thanks -- tirerack.com was a good suggestion. It tells me that my original choice was a pretty good choice. I think I'll stick with it.

Roberta

Reply to
R. Millstein