"Your car doesn't HAVE a pcv valve"

I drove into the local Jiffy Lube today to get my car serviced. Since it had 101,000 miles on it, I thought I'd get the pcv valve replaced since I was driving around with the factory original.

The blonde girl that logged me into their system came back and told me that my car didn't have one! Is this possible? Thanks.

2006 Nissan Altima 2500cc four-cylinder.
Reply to
geo pearl

If not, for $8.98 you can certainly buy one:

Or maybe even $7.98, page isn't clear on that point.

Reply to
AMuzi

The 7.98 version is for a V-6; the the 8.98 is for the I-4

Reply to
Retired

The prices for those things sure have gone up. I remember when they was nienty seven cents, or less. I spritz some carburetor cleaner in mine and shake it and put it back on there.

Reply to
JR

It has one, but it is not listed as a service item in Nissans' maintenance schedule for that car.

It screws into the valve cover below the intake manifold and to replace it the intake has to be removed to gain access.

Reply to
Steve W.

My 1978 Dodge van and my 1983 Dodge van have a rubber grommet on one of the valve covers. The PCV valve is very easy to pull out and remove.

Reply to
JR

geo perl:

Perhaps she's suggesting your vehicle is missing one. Some vehicles have more than one PCV.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

This topic got me interested, and I did some reading:

Points of note:

So before the PCV was invented, internal combustion engines mostly used som ething called a "road draft tube." It used the slipstream when moving to d raw air out of the crankcase (you can immediately see the problem when the vehicle wasn't moving). This had the unfortunate side effect of dumping un burned hydrocarbons (from cylinder blow-by) straight to the atmosphere, and was a major source of smog.

The PCV was originally invented for tanks, so they could ford rivers etc. w ithout water getting in the crankcase. It also had the benefits of reducin g emissions, and keeping the inside of the crankcase cleaner. Use in autom obiles took off in the 1960s, with California requiring it from the 1961 mo del year.

So anyone who tells you a modern internal combustion engine doesn't have so me kind of PCV valve or similar crankcase ventilation setup, probably doesn 't know what they're talking about. The EPA would not be amused, to say th e least.

Reply to
Jc Maxwell

omething called a "road draft tube." It used the slipstream when moving to draw air out of the crankcase (you can immediately see the problem when th e vehicle wasn't moving). This had the unfortunate side effect of dumping unburned hydrocarbons (from cylinder blow-by) straight to the atmosphere, a nd was a major source of smog.

without water getting in the crankcase. It also had the benefits of reduc ing emissions, and keeping the inside of the crankcase cleaner. Use in aut omobiles took off in the 1960s, with California requiring it from the 1961 model year.

some kind of PCV valve or similar crankcase ventilation setup, probably doe sn't know what they're talking about. The EPA would not be amused, to say the least.

This morning on my way to the food store I saw a different kind of blow by. That blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe of that pickup truck. It looke d like it was fogging the whole neighborhood.

Reply to
JR

[...]

History of PCV Valves. and then I saw another real Good website, www.se condchancegarage.com ...Rose doesn't have a second hand heart.....

Reply to