ZC Swap

I just made a ZC SOHC swap into my Honda Civic 94 LX 5-speed. The car has now absolutely no low-end power even for a civic. My car stalls going up my driveway on first unless I slip on the clutch at 3000RPM. I have tested the engine compression and it is good and well whithin specifications. I have checked the timing and it is right at 15 degrees BTDC. Is there something I am missing? Thanks for any help in advance,

- JR

Reply to
JR Lomas

==================

Ignition timing may look OK with a scope, but the cam timing can be out a tooth or two on the timing belt... Symptom: Hesitation, stalling at low end, runs terrible until completely warmed up, and even then no power.

'Curly'

=================

--

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Reply to
JR Lomas

|The belt is not off by a tooth or two. I already have made sure of that, I |precisely aligned the marks on the sprockets. The car does not hesitate or |run bad while cold (feels like it has more power when cold), the car has |plenty of power once it gets passed 3000RPMs.

Sounds to me like the VTEC is engaged all the time.

|> > I just made a ZC SOHC swap into my Honda Civic 94 LX 5-speed. The car |has |> > now absolutely no low-end power even for a civic. My car stalls going |up my |> > driveway on first unless I slip on the clutch at 3000RPM. I have tested |the |> > engine compression and it is good and well whithin specifications. I |have |> > checked the timing and it is right at 15 degrees BTDC. Is there |something I |> > am missing? |> > Thanks for any help in advance, |> >

|> > - JR |>

|> ================== |>

|> Ignition timing may look OK with a scope, but the cam timing can be out |> a tooth or two on the timing belt... Symptom: Hesitation, stalling at |> low end, runs terrible until completely warmed up, and even then no |> power. |>

|> 'Curly' |>

|> ================= |> -- | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.txol.net:

I wonder if he changed the ECU to match the new engine?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

ZC isn't vtec. They are twin cam (and single cam) 1.6l engines that were in

88-91 civics in Japan.
Reply to
Jafir Elkurd

You are correct, brain fade on my part ;) So it's back to probable timing, ignition or camshaft. I'd say the cam is retarded one tooth.

|> > Sounds to me like the VTEC is engaged all the time. |> >

|> I wonder if he changed the ECU to match the new engine? |>

|> -- |> Jim Yanik |> jyanik-at-kua.net | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

"Jafir Elkurd" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I wasn't the one to claim VTEC always engaged.That was "RexB".

But different motors ARE going to have different ECU programs.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Reply to
JR Lomas

You are correct, I did not change the ECU. I am just using the LONG BLOCK from the ZC everything else is still what was in my old engine (D15B7). I would change the ECU; however, my car is OBD-I and the long block is a OBD-0, hence I can't just get the ECU that came with the motor originally to fit in my car and my harness. Any other thoughts on how to get it to work properly (assuming it is the ECU program that causes the problem). Thank you,

- JR

Reply to
JR Lomas

Wasn't trying to imply that YOU had said that. I was just jumping in somewhere along the way. There are companies that will remap an ECU to match the ZC motor (no real need to do this if using the single cam ZC in a D16 car, so I hear). Also, with the 92+ civics, I think you can buy an aftermarket ECU that you can program yourself, but they are pricey.

Reply to
Jafir Elkurd