'00 4RUNNER pwr antenna stuck??

I have a 2000 4 Runner limited with the power antenna stuck in the up position. Every time I turn the car on or off or turn the radio on or off I hear the motor for the antenna turning until the relay clicks off. Obviously the antenna is not moving. Does this mean the whole mechanism needs to be replaced? if so, can I do it myself? Where do I access this from? I'm not really sure what to touch in the wheel well to get to it. In the mean time is there a simple way to disconnect the motor or relay so my battery wont drain every time I turn off the car? I already looked for a separate fuse for this but can't find one.

HELP???

Thanks in advance. John

Reply to
John

Proobably not. Most likely, just the mast and nylon drive tape need to be replaced.

if so, can I do it

It depends on your understanding of mechanical things.

Where do I access this from?

The top of the fender.

I'm not really sure what to touch in

You do not neet to touch anything in the wheel well.

In the mean time is there a simple way to

The antenna has a timer to prevent draining the battery.

You asked a bunch of questions, but asking how to replace the antenna mast was not among them. Assuming that you will ask that next...

Go to your Toyota dealer to get a replacement mast for your vehicle. Some aftermarket auto parts stores may carry one.

Wrap a rag around the chrome ring at the base of the antenna mast. The ring will have notches in it. Use a pair of slip-joint pliers to loosen the ring, using the rag to make sure you don't scratch the chrome. Have someone turn on the radio while you pull up on the mast. Hopefully, the tape on the replacement antenna is the same length as the old one. If the old one is shorter, then the tape broke somewhere inside and you have to take it apart. If that is the case, you have to access the antenna assembly from inside the wheel well by removing the screws that hold the fender liner in place. After you get the old mast and tape out, feed the tape back into the hole and have someone turn the radio off while you feed the tape in. It may take a few tries, but everything should eventually line up so you can replace the ring.

Reply to
Ray O

I didn't know that the mast can be replaced separate from the unit itself. I just assumed it all goes together.

Does the nylon drive tape come with a new mast?

Does the tape feed automatically once I feed it into the hole? or does it need to be secured by hand from within the unit assembly?

Reply to
John

Yes. The nylon drive tape is about the diameter of your computer's network cable, with drive teeth that engage a drum. The drum rotates and as it feeds the tape out, the tape pushes the mast up.

It might take a few tries to get the teeth on the tape to engage the drum. When you pull out the old one, note the orientation of the teeth on the tape so that you can orient the replacement one the same way.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Okay. I found a picture on line of what a replacement antenna with the drive tape should look like. I removed the mast from the top of the fender by loosening the ring as you said. It looks as if the nylon drive belt broke because it appears much shorter than the new one in the photo. Now- How do I get the remaining piece out??? If I need to do it from the wheel well, I've noticed aside from screws holding the liner in place there seems to be some type of push pin along the edge of the liner. It feels as if I'm going to rip the liner if I tug on that. Should I be pulling at those too? Is there an easier way to get the drive tape out (from the top perhaps????)

Thanks for all the replys. You've been a big help.

John

Reply to
John

Unfortunately, to get the remaining piece out, you have to disassemble the drum on the antenna assembly.

As far as removing the wheel well liner, if the clips have a flat head, they pull straight out. If there is a center "button" on the clip, then push the button inwards to release the clip.

I believe that the drum cover has only 1 screw holding it on. You can remove the cover and get the rest of the tape out.

Reply to
Ray O

OK I'll give it a try. Thanks for all the info. John

Reply to
John