01 Prism rust repair

I had a small rust spot (about 1 inch in diameter) on my rear fender. I sanded it down to the bare metal and applied a coat of rustoleum. I plan to recoat this a few more times. It shows but I don't care about that. Is this likely to last?

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

If it's the 'good' Rustoleum primer and paint that's heavy on the fish oil, it will last for a few years before the rust comes back - a lot longer than if you did nothing.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

There are several products (I forget there names) you can apply to rust these days that actually will permanently convert it into a paintable material without the need to remove it. Check the paint department for rust converters.

Or if you have sanded the rust off down to shiny bare metal then a wipe with Muratic acid (stuff for swimming pools) kills rust.

Either one done correctly should solve the rust problem unless new rust is allowed to start growing there.

Reply to
Danny G.

I think you mean phosphoric acid, not Muratic acid. A product which comes to mind is Ospho, which is used to prevent/kill rust on bare metal surfaces prior to painting. I'm not trying to promote a particular company or product, however, view the Ospho site to get some info

Another product that I've been recently introduced to is called Corroseal
too is used on bare metal surfaces to kill & prevent rust prior to painting.

Reply to
: P