02 Corolla plug change

Just changed the plugs for the first time since getting this car in March when it had 117k miles ( now 119k ).

This was the hardest plug change I've ever done as the amateur that I am.

Took the cover off, no problem. Disconnected the plug connectors, no problem. Took the coil assy bolts out, no problem. Pulled 3 of the coil assy's up but the 4th wouldnt come up, no matter what. I literally had to get the jack handle out of the back and use the chisel tip under the thick plastic part, to finally get it to come up! WHAT A PAIN.

A snap after that though.

Photo of the plus below. I guess the original owner ( or the factory? ) must have put in iridium plugs when the car was new?

They look ready to change though. ( not sure what the white stuff is, but that means it's burning lean? )

Another problem though - the oil is slowly leaking out somewhere. We had an emissions test done before buying it and it passed with about 1/2 the allowable, of standard. No oil evident at the tailpipe or in the driveway. But it must be leaking slowly from somewhere, because it was below the bottom of the dipstick when we had a change done 1000 miles ago, and they filled it ( obviously ) and now it's down to the lower end of the dipstick, not good.

Reply to
Jane Galt

Deposits from burning oil. Either rings or valve guides, leaning more toward rings because the deposits are evenly spread all over the tip of the plug... valve guide oil deposits typically deposit just on the side of the plug that faces the intake valve(s).

Reply to
aarcuda69062

If you shut off the engine and quickly remove the oil filler cap, does blue smoke come out?

I've heard of cars burning a quart every few hundred miles because of bad valve seals. Can they be changed on your Corolla without removing the camshaft(s)?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly