02 threw a Brake trouble code

The latest in the saga of my 02 Corolla. We have snow tires on the 93 and got significan't snow here for about 10 days, so we drove the 93 and not the 02.

So I started the 02 today and it took a minute to run smoothly, but during that time, the brake code comes up in the light on the panel. The brakes work fine, but now I have to put up with the code that was thrown, until I can get it to the mechanic to reset it next week.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

That's like saying the garbage disposal took out the microwave oven....

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't think there is anything to reset. It's not spitting out a trouble code like with the engine ECU. It's just a usual brake warning. The only way to make it go out is to fix the issue causing it, and Hachiroku already listed the first things to check.

Reply to
nm5k

Brake trouble codes do not show up on the instrument panel, just a brake warning light. Check the stuff Hachiroku mentioned. A parking brake that wasn't relapsed is the most common cause of the warning light. If it is low on brake fluid, do not top off the brake fluid because either the brakes are worn (most likely) or you have a brake fluid leak somewhere. In either case, have the car checked by a competent technician. The place that rotates your tires (assuming you have them rotated every 5,000 miles) is probably not a good choice because they should have caught the low brake lining wear before the warning light came on.

Reply to
Ray O

Who? I must have him killfiled for being nasty, I didn't see the post.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

It's not his fault that you kill filed him. You can see his reply on groups.google.com if you like.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

You killfiled someone who usually gives decent automotive advice and who happens to agree with you politically?

As for the brake warning light, make sure the parking brake is completely off and check the brake fluid level.

If the brake fluid level is low, have your brake linings checked because they are probably worn. Do not add brake fluid because when the pads and/or shoes are replaced, the brake fluid level should come back up.

If the parking brake is off and the brake fluid level is between the low and high marks on the reservoir, tap the top of the reservoir cap and see if the light goes off. The switch for the low brake fluid level warning is just a float that sometimes sticks.

Reply to
Ray O

He does? Maybe it was an accidental mistake then.

The car has been hard to start after sitting for a week at a time, maybe the battery is shot and the voltage was so low that it did the error light, but ok, I'll check them. I already checked the parking brake though.

They were just replaced in May if I recall, when we got the car.

Ah, thanks! But I thought that once these codes come on, only the mechanic can reset them.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Low voltage will not cause the brake warning light to illuminate.

I didn't say to have your brake linings checked if the fluid is low and the linings have not been replaced. I said to check your brake linings if the brake fluid is low with no other qualifications. Brake linings should be checked when the tires are rotated every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. A problem with a caliper or brake adjustment can cause rapid brake wear. If your mechanic cant take 30 seconds to check fluids when he is changing the oil, it's a pretty safe bet that he isn't checking brake lining wear either.

Nope, in the case of a brake warning light, there are no codes. If the ABS warning light comes on, a trouble code would be stored in nthe memory and a code reader would be needed to read the code. Besides using a code reader, you can disconnect the battery for a minute to clear codes.

Reply to
Ray O

Ohhh, that's nice to know.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

I drive my car once or twice a week and leave a charger plugged in between outings.

Leaving your car for extended periods in the dead of winter can be hard on the battery, especially when electronics are running in the back ground. I've been using this charger for a few years now, and it works great.

Reply to
GM homepc

If the car has been sitting for a while have the brakes checked for seized components. Check back to see how long ago the brake fluid was changed. Perhaps it's overdue and the float in the reservoir maybe sticking.

Reply to
GM homepc

Thanks.

I checked the level today and it's fine. Tapped the sensor. Will see if it goes off now.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

I'm wondering about how much current the alarm systems draw, too.

I've heard good things about that charger but we have no garage and it would be weird dealing with it all the time like that.

I was thinking more in terms of mounting a solar cell on the dash, that would trickle charge at about 150ma.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

The BRAKE light is not a function of the computer or the battery, it is purely a function of the braking system -- either the brake fluid is low or the parking brake is activated.

Sitting for a week has nothing at all to do with yoru problem. AND there is no code. AND there is no relationship in running poorly and the brake light being on.

THERE IS NO CODE!

Reply to
Jeff Strickland