03 Avalon Attn. Ray O or

Purchased new and has had what sounds like a belt or alternator squeal at idle since new, can't hear it at driving speed. Dealer was contacted several times from the start and always brushed me off as within limits and I have lived with it but now that the warranty is up I would like to take it to an independent shop to see if it can be corrected. The wife's car and only 23K but it annoys me when I use it. Should I have them try a new belt first? I'm a senior and not able to do some of these things myself. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie,

Unfortunately, sounds are difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose without actually hearing them. I can give you some general ideas on what you or the technician should check, but unfortunately, I can't pinpoint without hearing it.

If the squealing sound has been there since the car was new, I doubt if a new belt will eliminate the sound for 2 reasons: 1) New belts generally do not squeal unless they do not properly fit the pulleys and 2) a belt squeal usually gets louder as the engine speeds up, but since you only hear it as idle, it is probably not caused by the belt. A belt will cause a squeal if it is loose, worn, glazed, or if the belt profile (shape) does not conform correctly to the shape of the pulley.

If the pulley for a particular component like the alternator, air conditioning compressor, power steering pump, or the crankshaft pulley or idler pulley (if there is one) is not on the same plane as the rest of the pulleys, you will probably get a squeal or premature belt wear. This is a more common problem in vehicles with serpentine belts because there are more component pulleys to get lined up than in vehicles with separate belts for each component.

The other possible cause for a squealing sound is a bad bearing or bushing on one of the components, but I kind of doubt that a bad bearing would last

23,000 miles, and I would imagine that it would get louder over time.

When you take your car to a dealership or independent service facility for diagnosis and repair, it is never a good idea to ask them to check or replace a particular component or part based on advice you got from someone or even if you are very familiar with cars. If your diagnosis or advice is wrong, then you will be charged to fix or replace whatever you asked them to, and then you will still have the same problem.

The best way to get service is to explain the problem and the conditions when it occurs, just as you have done above, and let the technician diagnose and repair the problem. If they are incorrect, then they have to pay for the mistake, not you.

It never hurts to have some idea of what is going on so you have an idea of whether the service department is telling you something that is plausible or something that they pulled out of a hat. If the service facility recommends replacing the belt, just make sure to note in writing on the repair order that you will pay for belt replacement only if it fixes the problem. You should note this in writing on whatever they recommend.

When you are choosing a shop, look for one that has technicians that are certified in engine repair or who have master certification by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) - they will have a blue circular shield on their logo. A technician who goes through the trouble to get ASE certifications is one who is serious about his or her job. Also, look for a shop that is AAA certified because AAA will provide arbitration if a dispute comes up, and in my opinion, AAA shops tend to be more conscientious.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, That would be so nice:

In the real world these 'pros' with certifications up and down both arms and sides of jacket will ask the customer to respond to ridicules proposals - and then they will end every conversation with WE CANT GUARANTEE ANYTHING. So you want us to go ahead and ...

In all fairness this was a GM and not a T dealership/ large shop over a period of 10 years. We all know that T is different :->

So why did I not go elsewhere - right ...

The best one can do is opinion shop- in that shop (if even possible some crap about insurance etc.) - and in places like this - where people actually care. I paid a lot of tuition to learn that. joe

Reply to
joe

I can't offer much other than you should have been a little tougher on the repair shop. I would have ridden them till they got the job done.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in this world, which is why I always talk to people with similar vehicles to find out where they go for service ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I've never tried using one but they make stethesopes so you can listen to different parts of the engine and maybe track down the noise. Or spray the belts with belt dressing. If it goes away you know what to fix. Be careful with all the moving parts under the hood. Some whine or whistle may be normal. Could be sucking in air someplace.

Reply to
Art