03 corolla - "tinkling" noise with gentle acceleration ..

I have an automatic 03 Corolla with 53,000km's. It's making a light, metalic, tinkling noise when I accelerate gently. When I press the gas harder you can't hear it - but it never seems to go awaye even after the car's been driven on longer runs - it keeps on tinkling. I thought it was pinging due to use of low octane fuel, but I've been using mid grade and premium gas consistently for a couple of months now and it's still there. Any ideas?

Reply to
Richie

Try your acceleration from a U-turn. If it is more noticable, then I think you should be looking at the CV joints.

Turn the steering wheel full-lock and drive in a circle while listening for the noise. It should be persistant if the CV joints are going bad. If it is stronger in the turn, but lessens while going straight, then the CV joints are definitely the problem.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for your reply Jeff. I just took the car around the block and I couldn't replicate the sound at all. I guess I was wrong about the noise not going away once the engine warms up. I promise you I'm not making this up though :)Guaranteed it'll be back in an hour or two. I don't know if this helps or not but there was no difference with the wheel in full-lock position or going straight. Generally the noise is most apparant when I'm accelerating from a stop or from low speeds moving in a forward direction.

Reply to
Richie