'03 RAV4 burning oil

2003 RAV4, 80k miles now, bought new, have changed the oil every 3 to 4000 miles, have done all scheduled service.

For the past year or so I've noticed a puff of blue smoke on startup. Dealer has said it is no big deal. Now the blue smoke is more noticable, and it's going through a quart of oil every 500 miles.

Anyone know of any recalls on this?

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles

OldRoads

Probably the valve guides and or seals. Possibly rings and or pistons. Not aware of any recalls. Remove the spark plugs and check for any major oil fouling, and compression check.(Differential as well).

Reply to
user

Before you spend a lot of money, check the PCV valve and hoses. At 80k miles there is a good chance the PCV valve is partially blocked.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

If you reported this while the vehicle was in warranty, and they have a record of it, you may still be covered.

Good luck.

In the meantime, you may want to apply for a high-credit line credit card.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, I like the PVC valve option. If it's not the PVC valve, what do you think it would cost for new valve guides and seats? I'm thinking valves because the smoke only shows on startup.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles

OldRoads

Why wouldn't you just replace the valve seals? Replacing the valve guides and seats seem like a very expensive option. If you are going that far, a rebuilt cylinder head might be more cost effective.

That is the symptom usually associated bad valve seals. I just don't think that is normal for any modern engine, especially one from Toyota that has been properly cared for. However, almost any engine that is burning realtively samll amounts of oil will mimic the "smoke only at start-up" symptom these days. When the car is cold, the catalystic converter is not effective. However, converters heat up quickly, and once they are in operation, they'll take care of quite a bit of oil smoke. I'd replace the PCV valve and make sure there are no external leaks. Unless the problem is related to these items, the repair cost is likely to be high. You can buy a lot of oil for what valve seals will cost. I also suggest you carefully monitor the oil consumption over a longer period. Over how many 500 mile periods have you noticed the higher oil consumption? Warm weather and long trips can mislead you. See the following references:

If the there are no external leaks, and the PCV valve is OK, then my next step would be to try one of the high mileage oils, and possibly go with an oil of a higher viscosity. Paying for valve guides and valve seats would be a lot further down the road for me.

What brand of oil have you been using? I know it seems to be unlikely, but years ago I had a car that appeared to use more oil when I used one particular brand of oil (supposedly of the same viscosity).

Ed

Reply to
Ed White