05 Corolla tires

I'm going to be looking for some new tires before too long.. The ones I have are getting a little thin. The tires on the stock 05 corolla CE are 185/65-15's.. But...The 195/65-15 was an optional tire. I think one of the sporty versions comes with 195's standard. I was considering replacing the 185's with 195's. Shouldn't make a huge difference, but I fiqure the slightly taller tire might give me a slightly better ride, and also slightly reduce my rpm's at highway speeds.. granted not much, but any bit helps I think.. I don't think it would be enough to throw my speedometer too far out of whack. Anyone know of a reason why I wouldn't want to go with the larger tire? Toyota lists it as an optional tire size in my manual, so it should be ok I would think. It seems to be Toyota "approved" for the car. I've bumped up one size on other previous cars, and generally liked the results.. Also, I'm still on the stock goodyear's, which are probably not the best in the west. I'm trying to decide what I want to slap on it.. I think one thing I really want is low noise as much as anything. I'm not going to be doing much canyon driving.. I'm mainly zipping down interstates at 65-75 mph.. So I don't need the top of the line, but I want to avoid any noisy dogs... Any of you corolla/matrix runners stumble across a particularly good tire? Or ones to avoid? BTW, I get all my tires at a discount tire about a block away, and I have read most of the reviews online. But I'd like to hear from actual corolla drivers as to what seems good. And fairly quiet running.. ?? MK

Reply to
nm5k

You won't notice a lot of a difference in anything with the 195s. Maybe a little more handling, but I bet it will be imperceptable.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Shouldn't be drastic, thats fer sure.. The different tires themselves will probably make more of a feel difference. MK

Reply to
nm5k

I just called Tire Rack for snow tires for my 2005CE. They have Blizzaks on clearance, REVO 1. Suppsed to be the best around. Ron

Reply to
ronbon

Not much snow here though.. About once every 11 years or so... I might see a bit up in Oklahoma , but usually if I know it's going to snow, I don't go up there. I'm mainly looking for a good quiet highway tire. I've got three or four in mind, but can't make up my mind. The reviews don't help a whole heck of a lot, as you always have some that think a certain tire is great, then the next will think it is junk.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

"Jeff Strickland" ...

I will second what Jeff says here about the speedometer becoming more accurate. The way I understand it is that the manufacturers calibrate the speedometer gear to the largest tires that come stock so that they do not get in trouble for showing a lower speed than is actually being traveled. By going to the larger 'stock' tire you will be moreso approaching that ideal.

I also agree with Hachi that you will not feel any difference. It will ride only 1/4 inch higher.

When I had an 86 Nova (Corolla clone) I ran Michelin X Radials that I get at BJs (or Costco or those places). It was quiet, responsive and ran for about 75K miles. I still run these tires on my cars now. They are much better than the original stuff that comes on the car. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

The speedometer will become less accurate. I'd bet that there are 2 different part numbers for the speed sensors.

Reply to
Ray O

My 2005 Corolla CE cames with Goodyear Integrity tires sized 195/65-15. Probably as optionals as the tag on the door jamb says 185s are standard. After 2 years and 31k miles the Goodyears were starting to show a lot of wear and didn't look like they would go the full 65k they are warrented for. I replaced them with Pirelli Cinturato P3000 185s, which seem to ride well.They are warranted to 80k miles. Let's see how they fare. I was worried about changes in the speedometer readings, but, apparently, the speed readings diff. b/w 195s and 185s is only about 2%.

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:j9Xti.6520$CE4.4390@trndny03:

Reply to
Hugh Capet