05 Highlander towing package

All Canadian 6 cylinder Highlanders supposedly have a towing capacity of 3500 pounds. I understand that, in the USA, this feature requires a towing prep package be added to the otherwise 2000 pound towing capacity. How can I identify the components that give my vehicle the extra towing capacity? As you may suspect, I have some doubts the equipment is actually on my vehicle. Toyota Canada and my dealer do not (can not, will not) provide any information.

Reply to
ksfair

According to toyota.com:

The Towing Prep package includes upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler,

130-amp alternator and trailer prewiring; 4-cylinder models add: 3000-lb. towing capacity, engine oil cooler, power steering oil cooler and 120-watt fan coupling; V6 models add: 3500-lb. towing capacity and 160-watt fan coupling
Reply to
Ray O

Now, how do I recognize these components?

Reply to
ksfair

Now, how do I recognize these components?

Reply to
ksfair

Now, how do I recognize these components?

Reply to
ksfair

The Towing Prep package includes upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler,

130-amp alternator and trailer prewiring; 4-cylinder models add: 3000-lb. towing capacity, engine oil cooler, power steering oil cooler and 120-watt fan coupling; V6 models add: 3500-lb. towing capacity and 160-watt fan coupling

Upgraded radiator is probably not going to be easy to recognize unless you have a standard one to compare it to.

Transmission oil cooler: look for 2 lines that look like brake lines going from the transmission to either the radiator or to a separate heat exchanger.

130-amp alternator: Alternator amperage may be listed on the window sticker or on the alternator itself. Otherwise, there is no easy way to tell.

Trailer pre-wiring should be obvious: look for a place to plug in trailer lights somewhere near the hitch.

Towing capacity is listed in your owner's manual, on the manufacturer's certification label on the door, and sometimes on the hitch itself.

Engine oil cooler: look for a cooler somewhere near the oil filter.

Power steering oil cooler: look for a cooler attached to a line coming from the power steering pump.

Reply to
Ray O

Now, how do I recognize these components?

Reply to
ksfair

Just look for the oil cooler. It will be located in the air scoop in front left hand side in the bumper lower area. If it has the cooler, it has the tow package. And of course, if it already had the hithc, it has it.

Reply to
Liberals are the parasites of

Always get the white sales sticker off the window of any new car you purchase.

That sheet lists all that is in your car and it should say it has tow prep package or whatever.

The other way is to go to the dealer and give them the VIN number and let them run it through Toyota to see exactly what is on your vehicle.....they can tell you.

-G-

Reply to
Raneman