08 Scion TC: $18500 OTD?

$18500 out the door.

6% sales tax here in my county, no extra features or addons.

What do you think? Should I bite?

Reply to
Phil

Go to another dealer and ask what's the price from them and compare. I went to 3 Toyota dealers, 1 Honda , 1 Mazda and 1 Nissan before buying a Camry.

Reply to
EdV

I thought the Scions were no haggle pricing, with the possible exception of a trade-in. You'll probably get the same price - so go with the dealership you feel more confortable with. Or the closer one. The tC is a very nice car. I almost bought one but practicality won. I sometime wish I said the heck with being practical!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Screw practicality! VRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!

My 2-15" Fender bass cabinet fits in the hatch with the seats down...practical enough for me!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

They're no haggle, but I started getting written e-mail quotes and fighting them out against different dealers. It started out:

$16910 invoice + 5.26% profit = MSRP = $17800 MSRP + $389 premium audio + $699 dealer fee = Subtotal = $18888 Subtotal + tax = $18189*1.06 = $20021.30 Add documentation, tag, title means OTD is ~$20400

Then one dealer undercut all of them and dropped down to $19155 OTD. I redistributed that to all parties. I made an offer at $18650. Bam! I was offered $18500 OTD. So in total I shaved off 9.3% so far. How much do you think that there's left in this deal? If invoice is $16910 + whatever the premium audio actually costs, and tax is 6%, that leaves only

Reply to
Phil

If I HAD the Fender bass cabinets - it would have swayed me to the tC! lol Did you get the manual tranny?

Reply to
Dave L

Looks like they were playing with the dealer mark-up fees along with the title & registration fees. They DO pad those. Believe me - the dealer gets their profit and usually more than they lead you to believe.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

of course!!! WTF fun is an AT?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Good move - just checking. When I was car shopping in '05, they had the automatic tCs available to test. But no manual! I was finally able to locate a manual tranny at a dealership farther than several other dealers. Was finally able to take one for a test drive and liked it, but other factors not related to "fun" kicked in...

Reply to
Dave L

I have two complaints with the car:

I like to 'stretch out' when driving, and the seating position in my Supra, my Celica GTS and my Corolla GTS are all similar: you sit back and stretch your legs, and the throttle, brake and clutch are like an extension to your foot.

In the Scion it's like you're sitting at the kitchen table, and the throttle is in an uncomfortable position.

Second, the damn 5 speed is geared too high! I'm turning 3,500 RiPpeMs at

70 MPH!!! I am assuming they did that to give the car a sense of rapid acceleration.

Ya know something? It works!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The nitpicking I had with the car - "Z" rated tires. It'll be my only car and we get some snow/ice here in the winter. With the way I'd drive this car I would also go through them quicker than average (soft rubber on Z rated tires). Also a blind spot when changing lanes. Oh, and the winow sill was a little high considering I'm a shorter guy. I liked the torque it has and the panoramic sunroof is nice too.

I know what you mean about seating position. I don't remember - does it have a telescoping steering wheel?

The tC was geared for more performance. After all it's got the same engine as the Camry!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

zero-60/ 1/4 mile times (tested by various magazines and compiled on one site:)

1988 Toyota Supra 7.9 16.0

From Sport Compact Car magazine:

0-60 mph: 7.8 sec. Quarter-Mile Time: 15.7 sec.

Interesting...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Is that a Supra/tC comparison or were you saying they're both for the Supra with different magazines?

Reply to
Dave L

Sorry. The first one was a test of a 1988 Supra Non-Turbo from 1988, the second one was a test from Sport Compact Car magazine of a 2005 Scion tC.

Reply to
Hachiroku

just imagine what the supercharged Tc can do

Reply to
EdV

Burn the tires right off the car? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

No worries. It was a 50/50 question so I wanted to clarify. Here's an article I read today about the 10 cars with the highest resale value. The tC wasn't one of them but ut was mentioned.

- no tiny url)

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

(sorry - no tiny url)

But....but...

Top Ten Vehicles With the Best Resale Value Scion tC Base price: $17,740 Residual value after five years: 47 percent*

Reply to
Hachiroku

> (sorry - no tiny url)>

Sorry - I emailed the link from work this morning with a quick note, but didn't read it carefully. So hey, even better it DID make the top 10!

Reply to
Dave L

Suits me fine!! ;)

The thing is, it is a car with higher demand than units available, so even used examples fare well on the resale market.

Reply to
Hachiroku