1 Toyota Dealer better in SERVICE than the other?

I've never had any problem with getting warranty work done at a dealer that was not the one that sold the car. And the warranty section of the car's owner's manual said that you can bring the car to any dealer of that brand within the US (car was sold new in the US).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

This is completely untrue for Toyota. It is possible that some other manufacturers have such a rule, but I doubt it.

Reply to
Mark A

Timothy,

Thanks for this message. I -for 1 reason or another- dont want to take the car to the SELLER dealer for repair under warranty work.

Thanks, E.

Reply to
E M

Better READ you warranty manual. I'll bet you your next paycheck it does NOT say you "can bring the car to any dealer of that brand within the US" Please quote the brand, model, year and page number of the warranty booklet for verification. ;)

mike hunt

"Timothy J. Lee" wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Mike,

You're on!

Lexus 2000 Owner's Manual Supplement (the warranty book) Page 15. Check any Toyota or Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement under "where to go for service".

That has been Toyota's policy since I can remember. I guess I incorrectly assumed that it was the same policy for everyone else.

Reply to
Ray O

Better READ you warranty manual again. It does NOT say you "can bring the car to any dealer of that brand within the US" on page

15 or any other page. Please endorse your next paycheck and send it to me ;)

mike hung

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Are we gonna split hairs? It does not say you "can bring the car to any dealer of that brand within the US."

The actual pertinent text on Page 15 of the 2000 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement (P/N 00247-02000) published 7/99 does read:

"Obtaining Warranty Service

"Warranty service is available only through an authorized Lexus dealer.

"Your Lexus dealership will make the necessary warranty repairs and adjsutments using new or remanufactured parts. Any authorized Lexus dealer in the United States, U.S. territories and Canada will perform warranty service."

IMO, that last sentence in effect says what I have been saying, that is, that Toyota and Lexus do not have any requirement for a new car buyer to go to the selling dealer. By the way, under Toyota's warranty P&P, if the warranty repair or adjustment is caused by the dealer that performed the PDI, then that dealer is debited.

I'll try to remember to check the Owner's Manual supplement on one of our Toyotas tonight.

Mike, you are very good at pointing out the differences between opinions and facts, something I admire in a person because everyone is entitled to an opinion, but facts are facts, and this is a VERY rare factual error on your part. I'll admit that I had the benefit of answering that same exact same question many times as a DSM.

Reply to
Ray O

That's a fair challenge, Mike. Does this paragraph from page 7 of my

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS Owner's Manual Supplement, Part 1, qualify?

"Owner's Responsibilities "Obtaining Warranty Service "You are responsible for delivering your vehicle to any authorized Toyota dealer in the mainland U.S. (excluding Hawaii), Alaska, and Canada in order to obtain warranty service."

I've had routine service at several dealerships across the US and Canada. Every experience was positive.

Further, the selling dealer repaired the A/C at no cost when the warranty was a year past the 36-month time limit but at 35,997 of the

36,000 mileage limit. By the book, Toyota was off the hook.

And no work has ever required a second visit.

Brent "You and I are partisans. We are making history. Only partisans can make the beginnings of history." -- Carl Sandburg in "Remembrance Rock"

Reply to
Brent

Well, here is exactly what it says in the warranty booklet ("1992 Owner's Guide") for my '92 Camry that I bought new.

-- Page 7:

OWNER'S RESPONSIBILITIES Obtaining Warranty Service You are responsible for delivering your vehicle to any authorized Toyota dealer in order to obtain warranty service.

Page 8:

Where to Go for Warranty Service While any Toyota dealer will perform warranty service, Toyota recommends that you return to the dealership that sold you your vehicle because of its continued and personal interest in you.

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Mine does (including Canada). Do I get your paycheck?

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

My challenge was as stated, you own me your next pay check. LOL

mike hunt

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Sneaky way out Mike! Anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of a modest donation to my favorite not-for-profit.

Reply to
Ray O

It was what is known as a 'sucker bet,' beside the bet was for YOUR paycheck only not against any of MY money. ;)

mike hunt

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

LOL, I don't get a paycheck so I guess we're even on the sucker bets.

Different subject, do you know Ed (?) Lash in Lewiston, PA? I think he had Chrysler, Toyota, & Lexus franchises. I used to work with his son Randy, wondering where he is these days.

Reply to
Ray O

Lewiston, PA? Never heard of it, but I'm in Delaware

mike hunt

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Umm.... when my wife's new Rav had a buglet at 2500, Toyota would not tow to the selling dealer, and instead had it towed to the nearest dealer to the location of the breakdown.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Thanks anyway. For some reason, I thought you were in PA.

Reply to
Ray O

Towing is to the nearest Toyota dealer.

Reply to
Ray O

Which is exactly what the warranty says they will do.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

That is indeed the correct procedure, when the vehicle is disabled.

mike hunt

Rich Locker wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades