1300 for 90K service (independent auto shop)

Hi Folks,

I need some advice from you guys. Car info: 2000 Toyota Camry 2.2 L 2164 CC L4 5SFE DOHC Mileage: 87000

I went to an independent auto shop to get my 90K servicing and the quote was about $1300.

(I have rounded the price(s) and included only the non-minor costs below)

Here are the things covered in the servicing: LABOR:

1) Complete lube, oil and filter service ($42.00) 2) Check Brakes ($32.00) 3) Drain & Fill auto transmission ($35.00) 4) 4 cylinder tuneup ($225.00) 5) Replace timing belt and water pump - $415 includes bleed cooling system, check fro leaks, verify fan & thermostat operation

Parts: qty

5 Motor Oil, syn. blend (new) 16.00 1 oil filter $12 5 auto trans fluid (new) $27 1 fuel filter $43 4 resistor spark plugs $53 1 air filter, engine $21 1 ignition wire set $45 1 pcv valve $12 1 anti freeze, toyota type $27 timing belt kit, $140 water pumps kit $115

Total (labor + parts): approximately $1300.00

Parts: $500.00 (approx) Labor: $800 (approx)

Without timing belt replacement it costs about 750$ less.

------

The car has been maintained very well and had regular oil changes etc. I am not sure if it's necessary to spend this much money,

Can someone tell me what are the important things items to take care of and what are not necessary to get during this 90K service?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

-- Tian

Reply to
tintincat1977

Actually, it all sounds perfectly reasonable, with a few oddities here and there. Transmission drain & refill, but no filter? With filter usually costs me about $65.00, based on my 92 Taurus. Haven't had it done to my Tacoma yet. $35 to "check brakes"? My mechanic does that in 8 minutes, plus test drive and asking me a few questions.

The parts are probably 30% more expensive than you can buy them for at an auto supply, but that's a moot point, since you're not going to do this work yourself anyway, so why compare?

As far as the things being serviced, I see nothing wrong with the list. The timing belt is especially important, and it's due at that mileage anyway.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'd wait for Ray or somebody that knows what they are talking about to answer....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

It seems a bit on the high side IMHO. Check the dealer and another independent.

Reply to
user

The only things from that list on the labor side that I have issue with are the "brake inspection" for $32.00 and a "tune up" for $225. There isn't any real tune up procedure for your car as everything is computer controlled, and $225 for changing spark plugs and wires seems very steep.

Reply to
qslim

There is no transmission filter - only a screen.

Reply to
Ray O

Prices will vary with location. Labor rates in metropolitan areas tend to be higher than rural areas.

Sounds high to me - our local Toyota dealer in the Chicago suburbs charges $24, including the oil and filter.

Sounds high to me - most Toyota dealers do not charge to check brakes since front brakes can be checked by removing the front wheels, and rear disc brakes are checked the same way. If they are drum brakes, then it will take an additional minute per side to remove the drums. If "check brakes" includes adjusting rear drum brakes, then the price is reasonable.

Sounds reasonable if the ATF is included.

Sounds about right to replace 4 spark plugs, ignition wire set, PCV valve, accessory drive belts, and air filter, if the parts are included in the price. The fuel filter is supposedly good for the life of the car and does not need to be replaced, and you list did not include accessory drive belts, which should also be replaced.

Toyota dealers often have timing belt replacement specials for a little less but the price seems reasonable if it includes the belt and coolant.

Those prices for labor alone should have included parts.

Everything except for the fuel filter should be serviced, and add accessory drive belts. You can change the PCV valve, ignition wires, and spark plugs yourself to save a little money. The water pump probably does not need immediate replacement, but its life is probably somewhere around 120,000 ~

150,000 miles so it probably will not last to the next timing belt replacement, in which case you would be paying for a lot of the labor to replace the water pump again. How long do you plan on keeping the car?
Reply to
Ray O

Ray O>> How long do you plan on keeping the car? Hmm, good question. I like this car as it runs very well (and it's paid for fully). How long do you folks think I can use this car without major tuneups, if I get this 90K servicing items done (including the timing belt and water pumps)? It seems like Toyotas can go upto 150K or so given proper care.

Ray O>> Toyota dealers often have timing belt replacement specials for a little less

Regarding your comment (above) regarding the cost for timing belt / water pump , the $415 is only for labor and there is another timing belt kit, $140 + water pumps kit $115 for parts. So it's really, around 670 of the total of 1300. So your comment that it's reasonable still valid? Just want to confirm.

On the other hand, is it even worth it to sell or trade-in the car now? How much you think I may get (it's in good condition - never had any accidents, I have all the servicing receipts etc.)

Thanks, Tian

Reply to
tintincat1977

LOL! I have an '85 Corolla GTS sitting in my back yard with 260,000 miles on it, and 'proper care' meant changing the oil every 3-3,500 miles, replacing the plugs and wires every 120,000 miles, and fixing everything else when it broke!

With 'proper maintenance', you should get 300,000 or more easily.

I also have a Supra with >200,000 miles, and had a Tercel AWD wagon with

I had a timing belt done on another Tercel, $32 for the belt and $185 for labor. The Supra cost $325, $28 for the belt, $19 for other belts, $28 for hoses and the rest labor.

Do you trust these guys? And what kind of a boat is parked along side the shop?

Reply to
Hachiroku

This group can help you do it yourself, if your ready witht the parts and time just fire away with the questions. Though, I consider replacing the timing belt and water pump as advanced repair and should be handled by certified techs and not by a rookie.

But sparkplugs, air filter, ignition wires you can easily DIY. Changing the fluids would require proper disposal and should also be considered if you want to DIY. Toyota normally has the expresslube package that will change oil, inspect brakes, plus rotate and check tires not included in your list. Be carefull though, toyota charged with a windshield cleaner fillup since I brought my car there with low level washer, but I had a gallon in my apartment, so there goes another $2.

Also, check that they use distilled water for the radiator. Anyway what I did on my previously owned 98 RAV4, all fluids were changed at

80k, ATF, engine oil, radiator, brakefluid, differential oil. replaced timing belt and plugs at 100K and never replaced the ignition wires, PCV and water pump ever. sold the car with 150K on it.
Reply to
EdV

It sounds like they are charging a little too much for some of the services, and the parts should be included with the labor prices.

It sounds like doing some of it yourself (replace the spark plugs, PCV valve and ignition wires) and taking it to a more reasonable mechanic or dealer for the rest would save you about 1/2 the cost or a little more, unless you want to help the shop owner with that second house.

I doubt it is worth doing the transmission, oil change, water pump/timing belt or checking the brakes, unless you are set up do this these things. I never do these on my car, because I don't have the equipment.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Changing plugs on an aluminum head can cause giant problems if not done correctly.

Even dealers can cross thread a plug.

It happened to me on the way to pick up my Air Force son at the Philadelphia airport on his return from Korea. The '97 Corolla suddenly started misfiring. Turned out to be a cross threaded plug had backed out.

The dealer paid for the repair, because they made the mistake.

If you are not familiar with the proper way to replace plugs, I'd have a dealer or competent technician do it.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Don't scare him away from replacing his own plugs : ) Buy the plugs already gapped to specs so you dont have to DIY.

Anyway, begin by screwing the plug in by hand so you can have a feel of it. This reduces risk of cross threading, When it stops, tighten it a little more with the tools, do not over tighten it with a scrunched face.

Reply to
EdV

The biggest reason for mistakes changing plugs in aluminum heads is taking time. You MUST take the time to change the plugs out when the head(s) is cold. Not hot, warm, luke warm, ect.,... COLD (ambient temperature). Aluminum is easily galled when coming in contact with a steel cutting surface (plug threads).

Anyone can have success using the following techniques.

  1. Let engine cool to ambient temperature
  2. Use compressed air to blow out any debris that is around plugs that may drop into the combustion chamber.
  3. Remove plugs using hand tools.
  4. Correctly gap the electrode and apply anti-seize compound to threads of new plugs being cautious not to coat the electrode.
  5. By hand, thread the new plugs in the head. (If it is a difficult location use a length of fuel line the inside diameter of it to fit snugly over the porcelain of the spark plug using the hose as an extension to thread them in to "hand tight".)
  6. Tighten(torque)to specs. (Important)

A DYIer can save money by following those simple steps which in most cases complete most of a "tune up" on modern engines. And if you use iridium plugs, they will out last a platinum usually by about ten times, so in most cases you should not have to change them out for the life of the engine.

Dealership and independent mechanics don't usually have or take the time to let the engine cool to ambient temperature. They have to make a living at book rate at the jobs they are assigned, so they roll the dice.

Reply to
user

Not trying to scare him. Just a bit of a warning.

Techs with a 'feel' for the correct final torque do it your way. I would suggest a torque wrench.

On the old cast iron engines, it was hard to mess up a plug, but with aluminum it is relatively easy.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

What I meant was, start by turning the plug by hand and finish with a wrench. I doubt it if he has a torque wrench its not a common tool. Finger tightening on the initial stage of spark plug assembly is better then using the wrench, often times cross threads are due to threads are improperlly alligned and you dont "feel" it when using a tool but "feel" it when tightened by hand.

Reply to
EdV

You are not supposed to gap the electrodes on platinum-tipped spark plugs because the platinum can crack or flake off. OEM plugs come with a plastic protective sleeve and are properly gapped from the factory.

Another trick is to use a length of vacuum line on the top terminal of the spark plug. It is flexible enough to fit in tight spaces, and it will twist if the spark plug is cross-threaded. This is very handy on the rear bank of V-6 engines. The OP has a 4 cylinder so the spark plugs should be easy to reach.

Reply to
Ray O

If the car is properly maintained (including transmission fluid changes), it should easily last over 200,000 miles, and cars with over 300,000 are not that rare.

The next major service, if you use OEM parts now, would be at 180,000 miles, although you should get the transmission fluid changed every 24 to 36K miles and the coolant changed every 24 months, and of course, oil changes every

5,000 miles.

That sounds high to me. Watch for specials at a Toyota dealer.

Even if you spend the entire $1,300 to have the car serviced, I doubt if you can find a decent replacement car for that amount. Check the value of your car at NADA's web site or edmunds.com to get an idea of its value. It is probably worth more to you than it would be to a buyer.

Reply to
Ray O

BTW, I talked to another (independent - AAA certified) auto shop and the guy said : a) it would cost $289 for the "90K maintenance pkg" without timing belt/water pumps etc b) If I include timing belt/water pumps etc then it will cost $814

I have the 2000 Camry/Toyota scheduled maintenance guide and it says I need to replace timing belt etc at 90K. I asked this auto shop guy if he will do the items listed for 90K servicing in the toyota maintenance guide and he said 'yes'.

The $814 seems reasonable. What do you folks think?

Reply to
tintincat1977

Sounds about $500 better than $1300!

Reply to