1983 toyota 4x4 distributor not turning

i've got the above pickup that broke down on me one cold morning when I tried to start it. The motor has just gone through a rebuild. Its got all new timing components new crankshaft with all new bearings, new pistons,rods, water, oil pumps, rebuild carb, etc. anyway my first diagnosis was a bad ignitor since i wasnt getting any power to the distributor or coil for that matter. But upon further inspection i found that my distributor wasnt turning when i took the cap off. I know this sounds bad but i am hesitant to believe it is the timing chain because i'm pretty sure i would have noticed the sound, and effects of a broken timing chain. in addition it smelled like gas after cranking it for a minute, which makes me believe the fuel pump is still working. the fuel pump runs off the cam so the timing chain couldnt be broken in this case. has anybody ever heard of the distributor gear pin breaking on these motors or somehow a broken distributor shaft? any input would be helpful. The truck is broken down 3 hours from my current location and i am reluctant to get it towed if i can just drive over there and slap in a new distrubutor and time the thing. Thanks

-Kurt

Reply to
Kurtl

I have never heard of a distributor gear pin or shaft breaking, but that does not mean it cannot happen. IIRC, the valve cover on a 20R engine is pretty easy to remove and see if the camshaft is turning or not. The timing chain tensioners used to fail, and if you did not replace it when you did the engine work, that could cause problems.

Reply to
Ray O