1985 Toyota Tercel wagon with loud bumping sound

It was implied that I have to get it fixed so my girlfriend can drive it to work.

---firefly

Reply to
firefly

The engines in those tercels should not be driven at 70 mph period. I had 2

4WD wagons from 1983 and they had minimal engines.
Reply to
Art

Unrelated to your sound but it is something to check...

My 2 4wd tercel wagons from 1983 had 2 stiffeners underneath that just broke on one end so they stayed in place but were not doing their jobs. If you have your manual, it mentions 6 or so bolts that need to be tightened every oil change. 4 are those stiffeners. Check your stiffeners out to see if they are broken. They look like tubes of painted steel flattened at both ends.

Reply to
Art

Why? I had an 82 Tercel that had no problems at 70+. Used zero oil, and according to the mechanic, spec'd out like a new engine (compression, etc) at 230K miles or so.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah. Just change the timing belt and drive as fast as it'll go!

My '83 neither smoked nor drank, but the body was rotting away. 210,000 miles and not a leak to be seen!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Weird! Mine had no undercoating, and through several winters in upstate NY. Bathed in salt,in other words. Zero rust, except where I drilled the antenna hole and didn't put any kind of goop around it to prevent rust. Cheapest car Toyota made in 82. No rust. It life ended when some drunk plowed into the back of it. I got a scratch on my shin.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Gotta remember, I had mine in '04!

Reply to